MBF Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can those who have converted to air ride rear suspension on their Boss Hoss "bikes" please give me your recommendations. Is the factory supported Legend brand the way to go, or the other brand which I can't think of at this minute ? Thank you, Craig

·
Registered
747 Posts
My take is after talking to others that they did not see enough of a change and spent extra dough. I have air ride on a BB and frankly I like the factory stuff better and more reliable....just my take....others will have comments for sure. However, I do a lot of cross-country riding and I like the factory for less stress and worry about leaks dropping fenders down. Pete

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
I tried one out and my trike rides as good as the one with air ride. I have ridden some trikes that need a suspension tune ups and maybe air ride might be the ticket for them. Like Pete says "less stuff, less problems".

Adrian

·
Registered
2,537 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I put the Arnott air ride on my 2003 SB and in my case it was an amazing improvement over the stock shocks. If it would have cost twice what I paid it would have been worth it. I tried every possible adjustment possible on the stock shocks but could never get a ride as good as my Harleys. The air ride is now better than the Harleys and was an easy install. I dont know anything about the factory air ride but it is probably as good as the Arnott and it is under warrenty on a new bike. Dave

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone for your inputs. I think that if do this LS3 SS, I will save the $ up front and begin with the stock shocks, then decide from there. Mean while I will do some comparson on the different air set ups. Thanks, Craig

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
Thanks to everyone for your inputs. I think that if do this LS3 SS, I will save the $ up front and begin with the stock shocks, then decide from there. Mean while I will do some comparson on the different air set ups. Thanks, Craig
One thing that Ron showed me was to remove one if the rotary shocks and the ride becomes much softer. (Not the ones with springs on them)

Adrian

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I too am considering the Arnott set up but am still a bit apprehensive about the "could go wrong" factor. I'm trying to decide if my money will be better spent on the air shocks or Mountains BB headers??? I can't decide!!!:gaah:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Power and noise, now and then, RIDE time 100%.
I'd go for the ride time if it was me.

Paul H

·
Registered
986 Posts
I too am considering the Arnott set up but am still a bit apprehensive about the "could go wrong" factor. I'm trying to decide if my money will be better spent on the air shocks or Mountains BB headers??? I can't decide!!!:gaah:
Matt - may I ask if you decided to go for the Air Ride and if so what it is like? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Matt - may I ask if you decided to go for the Air Ride and if so what it is like? Thanks!
Doc, haven't got it yet........ will be making a ride down to Mountain in a month or so, so will get it done then. Its got to be better than the spine-crunching springs on the bike now!:biker:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Thanks! I'm thinking of having it for my planned ride from LA to Paris Landing in September (yep have decided to ride it, am saving up overtime to get the necessary days off)
:smilie_flag_USA:

Having grooved the rear tire to Sturgis last year and Laughlin this year, despite rebuilt and adjusted rear shocks, I am thinking this (and a radiator overflow can) is the mod worth saving up for, before that ride. (Along with packing lite for a change).
:eek:ops_sign:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Thanks! I'm thinking of having it for my planned ride from LA to Paris Landing in September (yep have decided to ride it, am saving up overtime to get the necessary days off)
:smilie_flag_USA:

Having grooved the rear tire to Sturgis last year and Laughlin this year, despite rebuilt and adjusted rear shocks, I am thinking this (and a radiator overflow can) is the mod worth saving up for, before that ride. (Along with packing lite for a change).
:eek:ops_sign:
I have the Stamford overflow can but am seriously considering getting a plastic antifreeze reservoir bottle and hiding it under the covers somewhere and running an overflow tube to it. That way I can keep the radiater to the maximum level possible and remove an unsightly can from the scene! My 0.02..... maybe 0.01 since its a Canadian 2 cents!! :roflblack:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Aldo,

Jack P. has a set of the Kewlmetal Shocks from Big Joe, I saw them in his trailer at the V8 Rally in OK, however, they are for a trike, I would imagine the bike shocks should be out in short order....

Regis

Rumor is Kewlmetal now has a fatter version of their air ride. Call
Big Joe 623-298-7181. See page 20 of catalog for the earlier KD143 model
http://www.chromegarage.com/pics/2008 Catalog.pdf

·
Registered
821 Posts
Matt

When are you going to Mountain ,,, let me know ,,, I should be in Ontario by the 14th ,,, may tag along if it's okay.

How far from Niagara Falls is it.

Mike

·
Registered
986 Posts
I have the Stamford overflow can but am seriously considering getting a plastic antifreeze reservoir bottle and hiding it under the covers somewhere and running an overflow tube to it. That way I can keep the radiater to the maximum level possible and remove an unsightly can from the scene! My 0.02..... maybe 0.01 since its a Canadian 2 cents!! :roflblack:
Good idea - I am already having second thoughts about whether additional complexity in the pursuit of hoped-for reliability is self-defeating!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts