MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to be an imposition, but I'm new in the area in riding and new in the area of bike shopping, although I was an auto mechanic for eight years. I've always have been a cruiser fan as well as a Yamaha fan and on my search for the best bike for me I was on the Yami website and came across the Raider. Before anything let me say I fell in love with the aesthetics, specs, and everything but the price. So my real question is as a new rider would the Raider be too much in the way of performance and price or should I just go with my heart? Any advice or insight would be helpful.

Thank you

Chemist298, Jon

G

·
I've been riding for 36 years.
The Raider will hook you like no other bike!

The cost? Hmmmmm, well, the Harley Rocker C, costs about 20k
The Raider is worth every penny!
You'll never get the grin off your face when riding and long after!

Does that help?

As NIKE says....... Just Do It!
You won't regret it!

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
671 Posts
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

·
Registered
343 Posts
:welcome: :agree: It will be a well made choice to get the Raider. The best bike i have ever ridden.

·
Registered
235 Posts
As long as you feel comfortable sitting on it and are smart when riding it you will be fine! this is by far the BEST bike i have ridden. and it looks awesome! like mentioned above the bike is worth its money. you get excelent power/looks/and perfomance for a price no one else can offer. Harley Rocker is ridiculous for price, looks ok (IMO), and does not have as much motor!!! ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
18 Posts
it is the best bike of this style i have eva rode. .2 of my buddys i ride with one has a rc components chopper hes got 30G in his bike and he wants 2 trade all d time on rides cause of the comfort on the raider his bike is a 113 hd screamin eagle turbo an he even gives the raider respect on power an the other guy rides a honda 954 an we trade all the time he says he even loves the ride the raider has. .i say its the best bike out rite now overall ;D

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
chemist

If you've ridden other bikes before - then you shouldn't have any problems with the Raider. When you're buying - the price tag on the Raider seems steep. But step into your local Harley dealer and look around. Hogs have become very pricey these days. I agree with other comments here - the Raider is a heck of a good deal in rpice when you consider overall performance and quality in what you're getting.

If you don't have much riding experience, it might be smart to get some before you get on the Raider. Borrow a smaller bike from a friend, or rent one a bit first. You don't want to go dropping the Raider on the ground if you can help it ... it's a heavy bike.

distantThunder, LA

·
Registered
235 Posts
like distant said it is heavy... but, the way the weight is distributed it doesn't feel that heavy! (maybe its just me)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Chemist, First bike or last bike, Respect it and it will treat you right. Abuse it, and it will hurt you. Price, Worth every penny. It is a great bike and you will not be disapointed. As the others have said, I believe it is the best bike out there right now for what it is.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I agree with everything above but need to chime in anyway

This is the absolute best performance cruiser on the market

I thought I loved my 06 Warrior but this jewel beats it hands down in terms of rideability, performance, and styling

Read the comparison articles in the bragging rights section of raiderperformance.com

I don't know where you live but most big cities have Yami dealers that will let you test drive this bad boy if you are still unsure after reading all this slightly biased input

·
Registered
29 Posts
My last bike was a 125 yamaha enduro and I last rode 23 years ago. I got the red raider s two weeks ago and have had no problems getting used to the weight and power of the raider. It is very well balanced and as long as you respect the awesome power the raider can produce you will be fine. This bike is definitely worth every penny. :icon10:

·
Registered
154 Posts
chemist,
Borrow an 800 then buy a Raider!

If you have no motorcycle time you might want to spend a few days on something else but for sure
if you respect what this bike can do it would be fine for a beginner bike.
I'm sure you have experience in other areas that will cross over regarding common sense.

Let us know what you do and have fun and be safe no matter what.

Best,
Nomadken

·
Registered
292 Posts
In my huble opinion, this is not a beginner's bike. True, the weight and balance are good. Performance is smooth from standstill through 130 moh. It's still not a good first bike. As much as no one wants to hear it, my honest feeling is that dirt riding experience is good and will teach you a lot. I've posted this on other boards and just recently heard several riding instructors say the same thing. I've said it for years. If you want to build riding skills and confidence, go play in the dirt for a while. Then get something in the 500-600 cc range for a few months - until you feel that you've out-grown it and finally go with a Raider or other Big Bike. I seriously doubt that any of us started on a 113 cubic inch machine. Personally, I started on 70cc and 90cc trail bikes. Don't laugh. as you learn on the smaller machines (maybe you're better suited to a 175-350cc), you build confidence and competence. I would never seriously consider such a big bike as a first bike for anyone - ever.

Just my opinion and you know how opinions are - everyone has one........that's mine
It's supposed to be fun, so have fun and ride safe. Maybe we'll meet you and ride with you one of these days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Chemist, let me tell you about my experience.
I made the decision to start riding this year for the first time. In early March I went to a bike shop where I could sit on all different makes of metric cruisers (didn't check out Harleys because I can't justify the expense plus everyone I know has a Harley and frankly they're snobs about it).
Initially I looked at 800cc bikes but since I'm tall with long arms and legs I didn't feel comfortable sitting on them. The salesman pointed out (correctly) that I would soon grow out of those bikes and I would soon be trading it in. So I sat on some larger bikes and when I sat on the Raider I had an epiphany. I fell in love with it. When I expressed concern about the "size" he again correctly pointed out that the power in the bike is all in your wrist- if you're
not careful you can get in trouble with a 250 just as easy. By the way, since I wasn't ready to buy yet I didn't feel like he was blowing me smoke. I ended up buying a red-s later at another dealer where I got a great deal.
I soon took the MSF course which was a great experience. But I soon realized that even though I did great and passed the licence test (we were able to take the test at the school facility) I wasn't ready for the road just yet. So after having the dealer deliver my Raider I spent probably close to 2 weeks just driving around my quiet subdivision and parking lots until I was ready.
Well its been about a month and a half and I'm almost ready for my 600 mile service. I just love this bike. I feel totally comfortable- drive to work all the time-and couldn't be happier
with my decision to start out with the Raider. I've registered for the advanced riding course and I'm even considering participating in a freedom ride at the end of the month to show support for the armed forces (my son will soon be reporting for Marine boot camp).
While starting out with a Raider or similar sized bike may not be for everyone it was the right thing for me. Sorry for the long-winded response but I hope it helps you and maybe others out there with the same concerns. Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
In my opinion....If you have never ridden before, buy a used v-star, shadow,C50 etc. and ride it for a year, then spend the money on a Raider. You can get a pretty sweet ride for a beginer for about $3000 to $5500. The reason I say this is I looked for a bike for a year and a half and you would not believe the number of bikes that you see on ebay that are three years old with 1200 miles on it (what mine had). People get bikes and don't like riding. The raider or any new bike is a risky investment for a non-rider/new rider.

I would think about it. 8)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts