MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all you that have put a 240 rear tire on your Raider! What do you all think? Are you happy or do you wish you went with a 230 instead. I am about ready to buy a Black raider and want the Wider Metzler.

I am also getting the Cobra Swept Exhaust. Though I love the sound of the drag pipes. I had them on my old VTX. I wonder which are louder..

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the 240 rear tire and think it is a very nice addition ,it really fills up the whole fender area,i love it,also have the swept cobras on a black raider,looks an sounds awesome.friend has a red s with the stock tire and i think they handle the same if that is your concern

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a raider s and the 240 looks awesome. One bike shop I visited had a 260 on a raider and it didn't look much different. The 240 will fit with no mods being done. The shop that had to 260 said it fit with out any mods also.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes pictures please. I thaught that the rim was not big eough and the tire would bow up some. If anybody has a befor and after pic Post please.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Never mind. i just read the FAQ. should have looked at it first. i will upgrade when it is time to change the rear tire. i have already started to smoke it off. This bike does one hella rolling burn out.

·
Registered
538 Posts
That artical was written in 2002. Tire manufactures have come a long way since then. The metzeler web site used to have a pdf that told you what the range of wheel widths for each tire they sold but I can't find it anymore.
This page says that the wheel range for the metzeler ME880 marathon 240 is 7 to 8 inches.

http://shopbikesbuiltbetter.com/dra...Id=3900428&catalogId=&searchProducts=metzeler

Not sure what the raider rim width is.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The tire you say goes on a 7-8 inch wheel is a 240/50, the reccomended wheel size for a 240/40 is 8-9 inch wheel. The Raider comes stock with a 7.5" wheel and a 240/40 does roll in a little bit when mounted. I like mine and I personnally don't feel a difference in handling. Looking back at it, was it worth the money of a new 240/40 tire? The answer would be NO without a wider wheel and the talk of putting a 260 tire on the back of a Raider without modifying is crazy. There is not room, unless you plan on setting it on a showroom floor and never riding. As a matter of fact, I don't think you can put a 8.5" wheel on the back with a 240/40 without modifying. If you do, you'll have about 1/8" of room between tire and swingarm. Not good in my book!

·
Registered
28 Posts
It does look a little wider and beefier on the bike, but I think you'll be the only one to notice. I'm presently working with Performance Edge to get my widened to 8.5". The pictures I've seen of the tire on a 8.5" wheel look alot better. I wouldn't waste the $300 on this mod until your 210 worn out and then spend the extra $1300 for the wider wheel.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks man....I wouldnt, but I dont know if you saw my post...i almost bit it monday from a pothole on the expressway at about 60+ mph ...blew the tire and bent&craked the rear wheel...so Im replacing it with a stock wheel for now..but was wondering if it looked better..and would give me a little more protection. Thanks for the input. :wave:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, I did read your thread. These roads in Idaho are terrible and this has always scarred the hell out of me. The tire rolled in on the 7.5" wheel definitely gives the wheel more lift from the asphalt. I didn't measure the 210, but I'd be more than happy to measure the 240 height. If you could get someone else to measure the 210 distance from the bottom of rim to asphalt you could compare. My bikes at the dealers getting a check up, so I can't take measurement until tomorrow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts