MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys:

I know there's a lot of expertise out there, so here goes:

1. I've installed a Drag Specialties 8,000 RPM tach to my Raider. As instructed, I've got the tach wire on the #1 coil (left coil on the right side), the power wire to the ignition and a wire to ground. However, I'm only getting 1/2 the RPM I should see (450-500 at idle). I've tried to connect an MSD tach signal GMR pickup in any number of ways but still only get a 1/2 reading. I also have a Fireball tach adapter that I've also tried to connect in any number of ways with the same result. What gives? Any ideas?

2. What is the redline RPM of the 1,854 cc Raider engine?

3. What is the operating temp and red line engine temp?

4. Has anybody found an engine temp gauge that will work on the raider (I've looked everywhere)? I know the Roadliner has a temp gauge. Can we use a sensor from the Roadliner to power a temp gauge for the Raider?

5. I've seen the pics of guys that have modded the stock exhause by cutting off the last half of the muffler. How do they accomplish this -- with a saw-sawl or what? I'd like to try it.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Big Red

·
Registered
24 Posts
1. This is just some advise from a guy who works on Nissans : Can the Tach be adjusted between 2 or 4 cyl. some tachs like Auto Meter have a wire system that has to be cut in order to adjust the cyl number.

2. The temp question though. I take it your looking for oil temp - there should be some people who have a service manual and you my be able to find a service port (for pressure on the engine) that could provide a reading for you.

Just some ideas.

See you on the road. :icon_twisted:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Here's some ideas:

1) You'll need a tach adapter available from Drag Specialties: http://www.dragspecialties.com/pdfs/1908-6978.pdf
See Item 13.
Here's another tach adapter: http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DS244143
You're reading 1/2 the rpms because the ignition system on the Raider is a single fire ignition that fires every 720 crankshaft degrees (or two rotations of the crank) for each cylinder, and not every 360 degrees like a waste spark system.

2) Some who have tested their rev limiter on a Liner with the same engine report 5200 rpm, dyno values vary but some report max hp around 4800 so anything over that and the power drops.

3) No normal or red line temps are specified in the Service Manual, only the oil temp limits of 176-194 deg F...usually 400 is a good cylinder temp to work away from, depending on where the probe is put...oil temps parallel CHT and a 250 F oil temp would be my personal limit with synthetic 20W-50 on a new engine...got to get the oil up in the desired temp range or it'll build water and acid...too cool is as harmful as too hot.

4) Both bikes have a cylinder temp probe on the front cylinder that feeds the ECU temp data...no max is given, just resistance specs of 0.90 to 1.10 K ohms at 212 F...the temp can be accessed on the Diagnostic mode 11, and throws a trouble code of 28 if it's max exceeded...maybe remove the probe and heat with a hot air gun until it throws a code in the Diagnostic mode then read it...bike shuts off after 20 min of idling so maybe that's all the temp probe is for...maybe borrow an infrared temp gun and read the head for how hot it is.

5) You'll likely only gain noise and loose torque and power if you do this mod without a fuel controller and dyno tune.

My 2 cents and have fun with your scooter.

Gary in Fairbanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts