MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a ride today. Turned out to be 418 miles of Colorado mountain roads with not a single mile of interstate.

Left my house in Nunn, Co at 9am this morning. Took HWY 14 up the Poudre Canyon and over Cameron Pass and through Walden over to HWY 40. Took 40 up over Rabit Ears Pass to Steamboat Springs for lunch. After lunch, made my way down to Toponas via HWY 131. Then took HWY 134 to Kremmling. 134 has to be one of the most fun roads I have been on with the raider. Plenty of corners to let her stretch her legs out. From Kremmling I made my way up to Grand Lake then through Rocky Mountain National Park through Estes Park and wound my way through the mountains to get back home.

It was a fantastic ride! Ranging from Just under 5,000ft in elevation to 12,183ft in elevation, through canyons, valleys, over mountain passes, past lakes, on America's highest stretch of highway, from 55 degrees to 90 degrees. Which all equals another great day on the raider in Colorado.

Here are some pics.

The route:

Just about to crest Cameron Pass:

Overlooking the west side of Rabbit Ear's Pass:

Grandby Lake:

Trees don't even grow up here(trail ridge road):

·
Registered
588 Posts
I was born in Denver and grew up in Silverthorne. I miss those mountains. Down here in Texas we don't get a whole lot of that white stuff on those mountain peaks. Nice pictures.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Hey Jeep,how did it run at 12,000 FT.besides the power loss. Those alt. and temp. changes show how good the FI systems are. Just amazing.:clap2:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Busa, it actually ran great. Hardly any backfiring at all, and coming down trail ridge it was A LOT of compression braking and the whole time I was simply amazed at how fast it adjusted and ran great. I climbed 4,000 feet and dropped 4,000 feet and probably changed 20degrees in tempature within about 15-20 miles. It is pretty amazing how well fuel injection works. I was waiting for a check engine light to come on, but it never did.

·
Registered
228 Posts
For any Colorado riders, I'm going on "The Ride to the Sky" 3rd annual poker run this Saturday July 19th

I saw this ride as well but it is my son's b-day and I doubt the wife will let me pass on that? Sounds like good run though!

·
Registered
228 Posts
188 mile of Colorado Intersate Driving

Although nowhere near as fun as yours, I did 2 trips from Longmont to Buckley AFB this weekend, riding with the collective of :disgruntal_sign:morons on 1-25 who can't seem seem to see a 6'5" rider on a big blue and chrome motorcycle in broad daylight, but I digress...better than no ride at all..:clap2:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For any Colorado riders, I'm going on "The Ride to the Sky" 3rd annual poker run this Saturday July 19th
http://www.lets-ride.com/event/colorado.htm

http://www.ridetothesky.com/

Starts in Golden, ends up in Lyons. About 80-100 miles, not a really long one, but fun!

Would be nice to see other Raiders!
Every time I go on these group rides, I'm always lost in a sea of hawgs!
Vintage,

I'm pretty sure I am going to make it to this run, and possibly bring some other's a long, one on a hardley, one on a chopped out vstar 1100, and one on a custom chopper, even if they chicken out I'm planning on it, so see you there!

Busa-

you should head down hwy 85 30 miles and meet up with us and ride down!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Vintage,

I'm pretty sure I am going to make it to this run, and possibly bring some other's a long, one on a hardley, one on a chopped out vstar 1100, and one on a custom chopper, even if they chicken out I'm planning on it, so see you there!

Busa-

you should head down hwy 85 30 miles and meet up with us and ride down!
Where are you guys meeting up and when, I would like to meet up with some guys to go to my first poker run. I have a Raider and live in Wellington, get back to me as I would really like to go.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jim,

I am thinking we are going to meet at the Kum & Go in Wellington at like 8:00 or so. So far it is me and a buddy that lives out here as well, and possibly one of my other buddies that lives in Wellington. You are more than welcome to meet up with us. I'll know forsure Friday what time and where we are meeting and I'll post up on here and let you know, but I'm pretty sure it'll be around that time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Jim,

I am thinking we are going to meet at the Kum & Go in Wellington at like 8:00 or so. So far it is me and a buddy that lives out here as well, and possibly one of my other buddies that lives in Wellington. You are more than welcome to meet up with us. I'll know forsure Friday what time and where we are meeting and I'll post up on here and let you know, but I'm pretty sure it'll be around that time.
Sweet, lemme know and i'll be there. I ride the only copper raider i've seen so far.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jim,

I'm planning on meeting at K&G by 8:30. 2 of my buddies baled, the one with the custom chopper is having some mechanical issues and my other buddy with the hardley is having issues with a soft pink spot between his legs, or his wife, can never figure which, but for spending that kind of coin on a bike he sure doesn't like to ride much! But me and my other buddy on the custom vstar 1100 will be there! If something changes I'll post up, but so far that is the plan.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Jim,

I'm planning on meeting at K&G by 8:30. 2 of my buddies baled, the one with the custom chopper is having some mechanical issues and my other buddy with the hardley is having issues with a soft pink spot between his legs, or his wife, can never figure which, but for spending that kind of coin on a bike he sure doesn't like to ride much! But me and my other buddy on the custom vstar 1100 will be there! If something changes I'll post up, but so far that is the plan.
Awesome man, it will be good to meet a fellow raider owner and one that lives so close. See you guys there unless something changes.

Jim

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds good Jim,

I should be at Beaugaurds tomorrow evening after work if you want to meet up for a drink before hand. My raven will be out on hwy 1 in front if we make it, if you see it there stop by!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rocky Mtn,

Man, that sucks, I didn't check the site before I left this morning. It was a fun ride, really good route, and the people that put the event on were great. Wish we could have met up with ya!!

Vintage,

Didn't see you there, were you able to make it?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts