MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone ! Brand new on the forum, coming from Joliette , Quebec Canada

THE question: want to switch rear tire for a 240 - metz $$$$ Dunlop $$

a) the diffence between them (except trade mark) ?

b) heard that the Dunlop little bit higher (sidewall) how much ? or nothing to worry about

c) the ride ????

d) dunlop + PCS lowering kit (dogbone) how much lower overall ?

Thanks,

RaiderGilles:biker:

(PS was the first to ride a Raider in montreal area in 08..Yahoooo!:biggrin:)

·
Registered
671 Posts
:welcome:To the forum first, as for the tire i went with a metz,love how they stick to the road, dry and wet,only complaint the way i ride i get 4000 miles per tire, so now that i need both front and rear tires I'm going with the Avon Cobras, as for the Dunlap cant tell ya haven't rode on one with the raider, Later Rob

·
Registered
70 Posts
I choose the Dunlop Elite 3 and it rides like a dream. Cornering is very very smooth. No need at all to worry about rubbing or clearance. I do not have a lowering kit on my bike but I am pretty sure you will not have a problem. I think I got my Dunlop for $263.

·
Registered
223 Posts
i just put on a 240 40 18 on the rear dunlop elite 3 good tire. i bought my tire for 160.00 off ebay. shipping included. i love the look of the bigger tires.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I went with the Dunlop Elite 3. I have been very pleased with it, but I just put it on and only have about 500 miles on it.

JakeWilson.com has them for $137 with free shipping. BEST deal out there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I went with the Dunlop Elite 3. I have been very pleased with it, but I just put it on and only have about 500 miles on it.

JakeWilson.com has them for $137 with free shipping. BEST deal out there.
:welcome:I got mine from Jake Wilson also.
came in last week still have'nt got it installed yet.
good looking tire though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
:welcome:To the forum first, as for the tire i went with a metz,love how they stick to the road, dry and wet,only complaint the way i ride i get 4000 miles per tire, so now that i need both front and rear tires I'm going with the Avon Cobras, as for the Dunlap cant tell ya haven't rode on one with the raider, Later Rob

hey rob once u make the switch to Avon would u mind postin ur thoughts on them? i have a bit till my metz's have to go but have been considering avon for a next set. Any chance ur lookin to put on the cobra 250??

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have the Avon cobra and absolutley love it. I think it rides smoother, handles better, and looks better than than stock metz 210. Plus it has a 12/32 tread depth vs. 8/32 on the dunlop and metz.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank's

Thank's everyone for the info.

I,ll go with the Dunlop and i will let you about it. In 3 weeks we plan a ride in the US,the starting point is Lebanon. We will ride the Tennessee, Mississipi and Louisiana ( of course Natcez trace) so i will be able to test it.

By the way NorthTXRider, great looking bike. :thumbup2:

RaiderGilles :biker:

·
Registered
273 Posts
hey raider58

I have the Avon cobra and absolutley love it. I think it rides smoother, handles better, and looks better than than stock metz 210. Plus it has a 12/32 tread depth vs. 8/32 on the dunlop and metz.
Thanks for the picture. Is that a 240 or a 250? Does anyone else know? I appreciate everyones input as my 210 is about to be replaced.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have the Elite III and love it, but based on some feedback from others, I'm seriously considering going with Avons on both front and rear as soon as these treads wear to that point. In my humble opinion, the Dunlop 240 is far superior (by 50-75%) to the stock Metz. That's just my opinion. I'm not sure what's the best way to atually measure it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The addtional tread depth is probably due to the softness of the rubber compound. Softer compound mean better grip and less miles, so the manufacturer makes the tires thicker in the tread area to improve mileage. I'll be interested in hearing how the tire wears.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The addtional tread depth is probably due to the softness of the rubber compound. Softer compound mean better grip and less miles, so the manufacturer makes the tires thicker in the tread area to improve mileage. I'll be interested in hearing how the tire wears.
Not sure where you got the scientific data for your comment on the softness of the avon, but yes I will be curios about the wear myself. I would go with the avon, for the looks and the feel when ridden, we'll see about the wear.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Stay away from the Metz. they make tires with backwards tread patterns and charge way to much for them. If you have a 08 with the stock tire your tread is backwards.:banghead::banghead:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts