MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke to gentleman at Metzeler today. I had to leave a message and he called back in 15 minutes. great Customer Service (wish I wrote down his name).

The very first thing he said was 'Congrats on the getting a Raider" I was like HUH? He said he was at some of their shows and they had a Raider on display. He also rode it, fell in love with it and is wanting to get one. I was like Wow. 8) That says a great deal! I am sure he has seen and rode many bikes at these shows.

Anyway, I asked about the 240 tire. He said it will fit but they have not done any testing with it on the rim the Raider has. He said he has been keeping a eye on postings looking for issues with the 240 tire, since so many have gone to it. So far, not bad reports. He legally could not say anything, just that no issues have been seen thus far and that they did not formally test the 240 on the Raider.

Very Damn Cool he loved the bike. More and more I am glad I decided on it instead of the $$$ Harley.

:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
141 Posts
WOULDN'T BE BETTER TO HAVE MORE REAR RUBBER ON THE ROAD I.E. 240 INSTEAD OF 210 FOR HANDLING..SEEMS TO ME IT WOULD MAKE MORE SENSE.

RAVEN

·
Registered
826 Posts
Not Necessarily, I have ridden a jackpot and it has a 250 out back and it handles like sh!t compared to the Raider. So just because it is bigger doesn't mean its better when it comes to handling. The problem with the 240 will be that the tire will not be the shape that it was designed to be on a 7.5" rim. Whether that makes any diffrence in handling I can not speak to because I have not ridden both ways yet. But when I burn this 210 off I am going with the 240.....unless something comes up from others between now and then, but thoughs that I have talked to so far that have done it say that it handles just as good as it did b4.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I agree with eian. A wider tire will not have the same round shape as the stock 210. It would be flatter - thusly decreasing handling. If you take a look at most sport bikes - they don't have ginormous rear tires for just this purpose - they want rounded tires so they can lean the bike like crazy.

If you want to dig into the turns a bit more, Raven - you'll need to drop the bike and shorten the wheelbase.

·
Registered
236 Posts
What I think is the issue is the tire will have like a "pinched" effect. If it's mounted on a proper rim it will be a little more "flat". If you mount it on this stock rim, it will be more cupped. Not as much of a contact patch vs. a proper rim. I saw a good picture of this but forgot where, it might even be linked to a thread on here. Do a search.

·
Registered
236 Posts
That's why a 240 is a little harder to induce a roll in for turns, thus not handling as well as our 210. Research the M109, new riders to the bike will tell you it's a little harder to lean into turns. It sure does look purty though, lol. :icon10:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Anyone have pics?? I am going to do this....with a new stock wheel since the pothole claimed the first wheel and tire...Thank you..

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can't speak from personal experience but my son has rode several different bikes.
One was Manufactured chopper and he wanted to see how the Raider was at handling.
The chopper had a much larger tire and he said in the corners it wants to stand you back when your
leaning in to a corner. Which you don't experience on the Raider ( at least on the stock tire).
Just some input to the post.
I'll be intresting to see how the larger tires work out.

·
Registered
826 Posts
240 mounted on the 7.5" stock wheel

240 mounted on an 8.5" wheel

·
Registered
826 Posts
Yes it is wider than the 210, the only thing that you need to make sure that you are comfortable with is the fact the tire will have more of a crown on it and it will handle diffrently that the stock 210 because the tire is bulged some. If you are driving on the highway or to the bars and back I do not think it will make any diffrence, but if you plan to do a lot or cornering than I think you would be better suited to stay with the 210 or you could do an 8.5" rim with the 240.
Just my $.02

·
Registered
530 Posts
Does anyone know if someone makes a tire like a 220 or 225?

I have ridden quite a few bikes (victory, M109 etc) with a 240 or 250 tire and let me tell you they all tried to stand back up on me when I was in a turn.. Not a good feeling and I felt as if I was bobbing up and down the whole time I was in the turn. Who knows, Maybe ya get used to it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i have rode both 210 and 240 and they handle the same for everyday riding,you would have to really push it to notice the differance,if you want to ride that hard buy a r1. imo

·
Registered
134 Posts
So who makes a stock looking 8.5 inch rim??

·
Registered
826 Posts
halgreenlee was prototyping one awhile back you may want to check with him.

·
Registered
538 Posts
They guys on the warrior 4m say that the 210 tire doesn't last at all, wears out really fast. Is this a bike specific thing where that happens on the warrior and not on the raider or will that stock 210 wear fast on our bikes also?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Common sense would say if the tire's are wearing too fast that they're either smoke'n em up or the compound is too soft. Like they say that the Avon's are softer than the Dunnies and wear faster but stick to the road like crazy. That too is just my .02. I feel like that disclaimeer should be put on all posts...lol. That must make mine true... :icon10:

·
Registered
562 Posts
desertraider said:
They guys on the warrior 4m say that the 210 tire doesn't last at all, wears out really fast. Is this a bike specific thing where that happens on the warrior and not on the raider or will that stock 210 wear fast on our bikes also?
I believe the Warrior has a 17" rim. Apparently that size tire is designed more for sport bikes and has a softer compound which makes it wear quicker.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts