MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this may seem a bit silly. After re-reading the manual on things to check for the bikes 600 mile service, and after reading several tips posted by other RAIDER riders. I have to ask.... Do you check your engine oil and transfer case oil with the bike standing upright (OFF THE KICKSTAND) or resting on the kickstand. It dawned on me for some reason, seems to me it could make a bit of a difference. Any helpful hints from the pros out there.. :icon_wink:
I just went through "another how to" with my wife and occasionally checking the oil in her car. I told her to make sure the car is parked on level ground and wait a few minutes after running the engine for everything to settle...

Thanks

·
Registered
326 Posts
i dont think it matters to much for the oil since checked in the oil tank, im sure you dont want in leaned way over just on pretty level surface, and i check the transfercase oil with the wife holding it up. i think it would be a bad design to make it where 1 person could check the oil without risk of droping the bike from trying to hold it upright with one hand and check the oil with the other ;D

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you checked your engine oil while on the kickstand, and the transfer case while up right (with assistance). That is pretty much my line of thinking, just checking to see what yall have been doing.
Oh, and ao, love the burn out man........ :icon_twisted:

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
I know that it's kinda difficult, considering that you have to hold the bike up straight (or have someone help you), but it's very important that the bike be both level (front to back) AND upright (side to side), and not on the kickstand, which will lead to a false reading of low oil.
Here's why:
The filler hole (with the dipstick) is on the right side of the bike, but the fluid level in the oil tank extends towards the center line. When the bike is on its sidestand, the surface of the oil remains level with the ground, while the entire bike is tilted. The angle of tilt is small, but it's effect on the level that the stick reads is quite significant.

Try a simple experiment - take a glass half full of water, and tilt is sideways a couple of degrees - now picture the dipstick on the high side - the level is "lower" in relation to the dipstick, even though the volume of liquid has not changed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks NJ. In other threads, there was some talk about the amount of oil being put into the Raider after an oil change. I guess that could be the difference guys were seeing. That and there is a slight difference between quarts and liters.

·
Registered
220 Posts
A good idea for future reference - when you complete any fluid changes and have properly (upright) checked the levels and they are A-OK...

Check the levels again while on the kick-stand and bars turned all the way left - then remember where the "NEW" full mark is on the dipstick while tipped.

Do this for a few times to double check to make sure it doesn't change... if it doesn't... just remember (mark the stick, picture, etc) where the fluid level was at on the dipstick so you can go back and check it without having to stand the bike upright.

Or... just get one of these:
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produ...in&catId=&productId=p282457&leafCatId=&mmyId=

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good point Ninja, check it a couple times up right and compair to on kick stand. I like it.. The cheep way out of buying the center stand, this is what I did. I screwed two 2x4's into the wall of my garage just far enough apart for my front tire to squeeze into. Then I screwed two I bolts into the wall 4' on each side of the 2x4's just above floor level. I have soft straps that go around by handle bars and then use straps to hold the bike upright as I do my work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts