MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Noise in the very front of the 113 V Twin engine to the left at the inspection plate , also the noise is there at the right side stator -- generator inspection plate.The lights dim as the noise gets louder.Sounds like your dragging a chain thru the engine.. Mechanics think it's the starter clutch assembly..Its not the clutch basket or assembly.The starter functions correctly.The stator is putting out 13.6 to 14.o volts.When I first start the bike cold the noise takes about 45 seconds to start making the noise.It causes no problems in the operation of the bike except the lights dimming & the noise itself , which will sooner or later break.The noise goes up & down , when the noise increases the lights dim , when the noise is less the lights are normal. Personally I'm leaning toward the stator generator..Has anyone had this problem ? If so I would appreciate all input or any mechanical knowledge on this engine.The bike has been rock solid except for this problem

·
Registered
14 Posts
Noise in the very front of the 113 V Twin engine to the left at the inspection plate , also the noise is there at the right side stator -- generator inspection plate.The lights dim as the noise gets louder.Sounds like your dragging a chain thru the engine.. Mechanics think it's the starter clutch assembly..Its not the clutch basket or assembly.The starter functions correctly.The stator is putting out 13.6 to 14.o volts.When I first start the bike cold the noise takes about 45 seconds to start making the noise.It causes no problems in the operation of the bike except the lights dimming & the noise itself , which will sooner or later break.The noise goes up & down , when the noise increases the lights dim , when the noise is less the lights are normal. Personally I'm leaning toward the stator generator..Has anyone had this problem ? If so I would appreciate all input or any mechanical knowledge on this engine.The bike has been rock solid except for this problem
My Raider started to do the same, weird noise and dimmed head light ??? I do remember having some similar noise before and it was related to a burned head light but this time the head light is working and so is the high beam. I checked all other lights and they are all working. The bike runs fine other than the noise and dim light. Still have not found the problem ?

·
American Legion Rider
39 Posts
If you could upload a YouTube video that others can hear the noise it might help. As far as the lights dimming, that could be a sign of corrosion on the electrical system. Bike is old enough for that to be something to look at. Check and clean all the connections from the battery to starter. Especially the ground connections.

·
American Legion Rider
39 Posts
Experienced almost the same problem.But for me it was corrosion causing the dimmed lighting.
You can help try to bring this site back to life if you tell your friends and then explain exactly what you did to make yours work well again. You can make this really your bike. Takes work but you all can do do it if you want. Just my 2¢.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts