starting problem

Thread: starting problem

Default starting problem

I have a 2012 Raider.
    A few months ago I came back from a ride and when I tried to start the bike all I got was a loud thunk. I figured starter problems. Well I did not get back to it until this week. I replaced the battery and the starter relay. It will now start but it dies as soon as I let off the start switch. I am not sure where to go from here.Any suggestions ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyBikeForums.com
    Advertisements

Default Solution

After doing a little research, which I probably should have done before I bought the relay, I found out that the Amazon $8.00 relay is Not an exact match to the part numbers they claim it is. I was able to reconfigure it to match the old relay with a few part swaps. If you don't have a background in electronic I would definitely Not recommend doing this . The upshot is that I am back on the road.

Purchased a 2012 raider about 3 years ago and soon encountered starting problems. Seemed like a poor battery at first, so upgraded it to a 220 from a 140 amp. Seemed to help for awhile but then the battery seemed to lose power and eventually would not start. It was always halting and now bike needs to on a charger to start without halting. I hear the valves are defective. Seems very unusual for a Yamaha and I have had several. Love the power.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MyBikeForums.com
    Advertisements

Yamaha starters are crap. Get a DB Electric starter.

Or try this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Starter...53.m2749.l2649

Default Service manual

Quote Originally Posted by Cardcutter View Post
    After doing a little research, which I probably should have done before I bought the relay, I found out that the Amazon $8.00 relay is Not an exact match to the part numbers they claim it is. I was able to reconfigure it to match the old relay with a few part swaps. If you don't have a background in electronic I would definitely Not recommend doing this . The upshot is that I am back on the road.

Good morning, this is a seriously good job figuring this out and fixing it. I’m not sure if you have the service manual and you can download one from here. http://download981.mediafire.com/ash...SVC+Manual.pdf

Happy trails...