Raider Newbie

Thread: Raider Newbie

Smile Raider Newbie

Hi

This is Larry and I am a first time Raider owner having just purchased a 2010 Raider S with 13000 km and in mint condition.
    I intend to replace the tires and have been reading that a few people are going for Avon Cobra chrome. Rear is a 240/40 /18 to replace the Metzler 210/40/18.
    My question is it necessary to replace the rim, or can the factory rim successfully accommodate the bigger tire. Any mods required. I will be going with the matching Avon Cobra Chrome 120/70/21 front and wondering if anybody has experience with these tires and performance. Not necessarily tire life but more handling and grip. I live in Canada so the riding season is short and am looking for handling over tire life.

Also any suggestions on aftermarket exhausts. Considering the V&H 2 into 2 Big Radius only because everybody seems to put the Cobra angled pipes on, and just to be different. Intend to add the fuel management system as well.

Thanks
    Larry

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyBikeForums.com
    Advertisements

Default Avonís are a good choice

Quote Originally Posted by DurbanLarry View Post
    Hi

This is Larry and I am a first time Raider owner having just purchased a 2010 Raider S with 13000 km and in mint condition.
    I intend to replace the tires and have been reading that a few people are going for Avon Cobra chrome. Rear is a 240/40 /18 to replace the Metzler 210/40/18.
    My question is it necessary to replace the rim, or can the factory rim successfully accommodate the bigger tire. Any mods required. I will be going with the matching Avon Cobra Chrome 120/70/21 front and wondering if anybody has experience with these tires and performance. Not necessarily tire life but more handling and grip. I live in Canada so the riding season is short and am looking for handling over tire life.

Also any suggestions on aftermarket exhausts. Considering the V&H 2 into 2 Big Radius only because everybody seems to put the Cobra angled pipes on, and just to be different. Intend to add the fuel management system as well.

Thanks
    Larry

Hello Larry, my name is Ernie. Iíve had the Dunlop, Avon and currently running the Michelin tires on my Raider. I think the Avon handled very well and the tread pattern looks sick, they did well in the wet. I tried the Michelin just because and Iím very happy with them, itís a dual compound tire and Iím getting more mileage but it handles very well too, especially in the wet. If there was anything I didnít like about the Avon front tire was that in upstate New York they seal the road cracks with these little ďtar snakesĒ, and the Avon seem to follow those lines so well I ended up avoiding those roads pretty much. The Michelins are better at handling them, so was the Dunlop. Strange the Avonís didnít. The 240 fits perfectly on the stock rim with no modifications necessary. If you havenít heard, a side benefit of upgrading to the 240, it will make your speedometer read correct. Good luck and Happy Trails!

Default Thanks for the advice Ernie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Hello Larry, my name is Ernie. Iíve had the Dunlop, Avon and currently running the Michelin tires on my Raider. I think the Avon handled very well and the tread pattern looks sick, they did well in the wet. I tried the Michelin just because and Iím very happy with them, itís a dual compound tire and Iím getting more mileage but it handles very well too, especially in the wet. If there was anything I didnít like about the Avon front tire was that in upstate New York they seal the road cracks with these little ďtar snakesĒ, and the Avon seem to follow those lines so well I ended up avoiding those roads pretty much. The Michelins are better at handling them, so was the Dunlop. Strange the Avonís didnít. The 240 fits perfectly on the stock rim with no modifications necessary. If you havenít heard, a side benefit of upgrading to the 240, it will make your speedometer read correct. Good luck and Happy Trails!
    Thanks Very much Ernie. We are still in the grips of winter here in Canada, and am working 800km away from my bike, so wont get to doing anything until break-up

5. Remove Advertisements
    MyBikeForums.com
    Advertisements

Default New or Old

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Ernie

The Avons you tried, were they the Cobra Chrome or the older version.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DurbanLarry View Post
    Hi

Thanks
    Larry
    Welcome to the club Larry! Great to have you with us!!