Changing Air Filter ?

Thread: Changing Air Filter ?

Default Changing Air Filter ?

I have a 2011 Raider-S and I love the bike. I like to do the general maintenance myself and it looks like changing the air filter won't be easy. According to the manual you have to remove the speedometer and tank. I can remove most of the fuel but I am sure I can expect to have a lot of spilled fuel when removing the lines. It also looks like the clamps are one time use designs and would have to be cut off. Does anyone have any advice on making this as easy as possible ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyBikeForums.com
    Advertisements

You're right - the dash panel with the speedometer has to be disconnected and removed, and the tank has to be lifted, but you'll find that you don't have to disconnect the lines or completely remove the tank for a filter change (small print: I understand this is not the method recommended in the manual). Remove the nuts and bolts holding the tank down fore and aft, and lift the tank up. You can even move it off to the side, leaving the lines connected, just be very careful not to kink or over-extend the lines. This should give you enough room to change the filter. The last time I did it, I attached one end of a tie-down strap to a beam in the garage and the other end to the front of the tank and lifted it straight up leaving the lines connected.
    Pathological Motorcycle Junkie
    www.RaiderPerformance.com

I just got an '09 Raider and it would seem (to me) that the gas tank would need to be lifted out of place just to reach all 4 spark plugs (!)

Yea like NJRaider stated you probably don't need to unhook the fuel lines just unbolt the tank and pivot it out of your way as much as possible. Try to have the tank as empty of fuel as possible

5. Remove Advertisements
    MyBikeForums.com
    Advertisements

Default How Often?

The filters on your home system should be changed either once a month or every three months, depending on the type you're using. You should check the product information on the filters for the manufacturer's suggested frequency of change.