MBF Motorcycle Forums banner

Changing the Battery on a 2008 Raider

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Bumblebee Bob 
#1 ·
I own a 2008 Raider that I dropped 14 months ago going about 10 miles/hour. The clutch lever was bent around my hand, scratched the gasket cover, and scratched the rear arm assembly. I have been working my butt off at my new job, wife hates my bike, I'm retarded, etc.. I am now trying to get my bike ready to ride, and one thing I need to do is to change the battery, which is dead. I pulled the seat off and got to the battery holder rubber belt, but under that is a mass of wires. Do I just just move that off to the side, or do I have to disconnect those two harnesses?

Also, I know that all of the fluids will need to be changed, and the gas tank emptied. The small amount of fuel in it has had stabil in it. Will the engine's cylinders be in danger of varnishing from sitting so long?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Cutter2001

#2 ·
You can get the battery out without disconnect the harnesses. But it's a bit easier if you do. And your cylinders should be okay, I fill my tank with gas and Stab-il every winter. But then that's also only ~5 months long too. I take the battery out and put it on a charger too.

#4 ·
I've been riding for many, many years (since the '70s.) I bought cheap batteries enogh times to reallyprefer buying Yuasa batteries. They're expensive and original equipment on most Japanese bikes but you also aren't buying a new battery every year. The curse of the cheap ones.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.