MBF Motorcycle Forums banner

250/40/18 tires

35K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  bluezuke860 
#1 ·
Will these fit on a stock wheel with out looking out of place? Or is the 240/40/18 the widest that you can put on a stock wheel?

#2 ·
u would have to widen the rim for the 250 tire on it.... People have done 240 onto stock rim without widening but i personnaly dont see the point of 240 on stock but others would disagree... earch the forums for the 240 tire there are lots of discussions about it.

#10 ·
People have done 240 onto stock rim without widening but i personnaly dont see the point of 240 on stock
Well I would start with it looks sick as hell and personally I feel it handles much better!!

#3 ·
I am planning on putting a 240 on my bike with the stock wheel. I was curious about putting a 250 on it instead. First, would it the stock wheel & second, would any other modifications be necessary.

#5 ·
there are a few that have done a 250. if you widen the wheel tho the 250 WONT fit. i know it sounds odd but its true. the thinner wheel (7.5in) doesnt actually let the 250 be as wide as it normally is. with the wider wheel (8.5in) it allows the tire to be as wide as its supposed to be and therefore wont fit. someone correct me if im wrong please.

#6 ·
What Hawk says is correct. You can put a 250 on the stock wheel and it is a bitch to get it on because it pinches the tire on the sides and it bubbles up a bit in the middle. So the tire is taller than a stock 210. If you put a 250 on an 8.5" wheel I have been told that it would not fit in the swingarm or if it did there was such low clearances that it was not safe.

the 240 will fit on a stock rim much like the 250 does just not to the same extreme as the 250. The 240 will also fit the 8.5 wheel and will be wider than a 240 on a stock wheel.

I hope that helped

#7 ·
Thanks guys!!!! I really like the look of a fat tire. I have looking at and pricing 240's and then I was wandering if it was possible to go up one more size with out any problems with a stock wheel. My wheels are at the chromer and should be done this week. I don't want to get the wider wheel now.

Has anyone rode with the 250? How is the ride and handling?

#9 ·
I would wait for input from those that are on a 250. The different companies tire are slightly differant ie: Dunlops are slightly taller than Metz & Avons. Here are the 240s (Sorry I don't have 250s):

Height

Metzeler: 240/40R/18 = 25.8" tall
Dunlop: 240/40R/18 = 25.91" tall
Avon: 240/40R/18 = 25.5 " tall

240 Tires Height & Width in millimeters
.................Avon-----Dunlop----Metzler-----Pirelli
Width-------238-------236-------239-------240
Height------648-------658-------655-------654

#12 ·
It's not much I think there's the stats in a thread some where on here!! Most that have gone to the 240 have also lowered there bike with the PCS spring slam and have zero issues riding 2 up!!

#16 ·
A forum member, dejablu has a 250 tire on the stock rim with the pcs bones and spring. He told me that the bike rides great and that there were no mods necessary.
I don't know about getting a 250 on a 8.5 but if it can be done, one of these guys would have done it.

#17 ·
So then a 250 will work on a stock wheel!? My bike is not lowered and I usually have the wife on the back. There is still enough clearance that tire the 250 will not rub the fender with a passaenger?

Thanks for all the help/input you guys have given me on my tire dilema!!!

#18 ·
That's the same question that I asked Deja and Myworld, and they both said no problems, Myworld is running a 240 though. But his bike is slammed with bones and spring.

#20 ·
I have been told that you can use a 250 tire on a stock rim and it will be just fine on the raider........BUT, if you widen your wheel the biggest you can go with no modification is a 240. The reason for this is thatif you have an 8.5" wheel the 250 tire widens out and does not bulge in the middle like when you squeeze it onto a 7.5" rim.

So 250 with stock rim = All Good

250 with 8.5" Wheel = No Good

I hope that helps

#22 ·
What exhaust is that jackr? Looks great!

#23 ·
It's Samson shorty slashdown for the warrior. Pretty loud, even with monster baffles, and a slight loss of power. I've had swepts, just got tired of the look. I'm in the process of modifying the stock exhaust. Thought i'd give it a try. :popcorn_smilie: ----jackr

#26 ·
I understand that a 240/40/18 will work on standard wheel, but do I still need a wide fat kit also for fender and arm? So ...let's say from a stock warrior bike, what do I need to change to be able to put a 240 tire on it with less expencess?
I just switched to Avon Cobra 240/40/18 and didn't change a thing. Love the ride with this tire. Changed the front to a Cobra as well.

#25 ·
do a search on the forum you will find the answer. probably 75% of the people on this site run a 240 and didn't change anything but the tire.

#27 ·
Out of the 250 tires which is the widest looking and what are the heights since your having to squeeze it. I just got the elite 3 240 and I hate the look. The metz 240 was better looking.

#28 ·
I put a Dunlop 240 on my stock rim and I bottom out every bump I hit. I tightened up my suspention and still bottoms out. Oh yea, I lowered my rear with PCS lowering kit and when I put the 240 on it raised it up an inch defeating my 2 inch lowering kit. I can't wait to go back to a stock metz 210 just like Yamaha says.

#29 ·
Defender
I got a stock one only with less than 500miles if you want it. 100 bucks shipped. Its in perfect condition just went to the 240

#30 ·
I finally got my 240 elite3 in october and it looks good and it rides good. I took it a 450 mile trip the week before halloween. I got alot of compliments on how it looked also.

#31 ·
I've got a Metz 260, it appears wide but may not be much more than the 240 since its tight on the 7.5 rim. I have not had any problems, occasionnaly I get a small swerve when making a tight curve, its rare so for now I will assume its due to the friction lines carved on the road.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.