Removing California Cannister

Thread: Removing California Cannister

Default Removing California Cannister

I have a 2008 Raider California version and wonder if anyone has removed the smog cannister on the left front by the horn? Non-California bikes don't have this so I wonder if it will impact performance if I just remove it and the associated lines?

Thanks,

Bumsteer

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyBikeForums.com
    Advertisements

I really don't think this a bad idea. Just make sure to plug the holes the cannister are hooked up to. Long as there are no electrical connections to this cannister to feed back to the computer, I would say you should not have any trouble other than maybe periodic vehicle inspection by the dreaded smog patrol. I heard that california is hurting bad for money right now, so it is up to you.

I also have this box that really makes the left side look like Sh!T...Does anyone know how to properly remove it... Its removal would really clean up the left side... thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    MyBikeForums.com
    Advertisements

It is easy to remove. There are 2 hoses connected to the cannister. The hoses can be terminated under the coil cover. One hose goes up to the to the throttle body and should be plugged. The other hose is for the gas tank vent line. DO NOT PLUG THE VENT HOSE. Also DO NOT connect the hoses to each other.

Blog Entries

Get a service manual and check the difference between the CA and the non-CA version of the Raider. You'll see that all the canister does is filters the fuel tank vent fumes. The non-CA version has a line from the roll-over valves that just vents through a tube that is ends down there where the canister is. You will need to retain this vent line for the fuel tank.

What I don't know is where the canister vents to. I'm guessing it vents to the engine intake. You should be able to just plug that line.
    Ride safe!!
    '09 Raven Raider S

Default Thanks for the reply

Thanks for your replies. I think the bikes without this cannister thing look alot cleaner so I will proceed to remove mine. Still wonder above the tank vent though as the cannister has a small line stubbed out at the bottom that exits to the ground. I wonder if the lines are removed under the coil cover and venting exits there will this put deposits on the case below? How much vent does the vent vent!

Quote Originally Posted by bumsteer View Post
    I wonder if the lines are removed under the coil cover and venting exits there will this put deposits on the case below? How much vent does the vent vent!
    I've never had a problem with the vent line. I removed my cannister over a year ago. Perhaps if you overfilled the tank with gas then parked it in the sun, the expansion could cause some spillage. If you follow my instructions regarding plugging the correct hose and leaving the vent line loose, you wont have any trouble.

Senior Member High Desert Raider's Avatar

Save yourself a heartache and heed to Madcruzer's words. If you ever have vacuum in your tank (evident by a suction sound when removing the gas cap) you know you've done something wrong! Correct it without delay! It would be difficult to leak fuel as the vent tube goes above the very top of the tank. I fill up and ride 1/10 of a mile to work and park it. It never leaks fuel. If you want to positively id the vent tube just blow into it with the gas cap removed. If you here air swirling in the tank you've got the vent tube.
    Last edited by High Desert Raider; 09-17-2009 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Madcruzer View Post
    It is easy to remove. There are 2 hoses connected to the cannister. The hoses can be terminated under the coil cover. One hose goes up to the to the throttle body and should be plugged. The other hose is for the gas tank vent line. DO NOT PLUG THE VENT HOSE. Also DO NOT connect the hoses to each other.
    Ok. I disconnected both hoses. I have no idea which one goes to the throttle body and which one goes to the gas vent. All I know is that the hose on the left side sucks in air when I twist the throttle. Is that the hose that I need to cover (like you say "plug")?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Ok. I disconnected both hoses. I have no idea which one goes to the throttle body and which one goes to the gas vent. All I know is that the hose on the left side sucks in air when I twist the throttle. Is that the hose that I need to cover (like you say "plug")?
    Yes the one with a vacuum is the one to plug. To verify, you can remove the gas cap and blow air into the other tube, as HDR stated. When blowing air into the vent line the air will escape into the gas tank. DO NOT PLUG THE VENT LINE.

Quote Originally Posted by Madcruzer View Post
    Yes the one with a vacuum is the one to plug. To verify, you can remove the gas cap and blow air into the other tube, as HDR stated. When blowing air into the vent line the air will escape into the gas tank. DO NOT PLUG THE VENT LINE.
    Thanks buddy. I'm going to plug the one with the suction and leave the other one alone.

Default California Cannister Update

Thanks for all the input regarding removing the California smog cannister. Plugging the vacuum line and leaving the other hose open works just fine. Also if anyone else is doing this modification you will notice that the cannister bracket also holds the front horn. I replaced the California bracket with a non-California version from Yamaha, about $25.00 and this makes the set up look real clean. Make sure you order the two allen head mounting bolts with the bracket since these are slightly different from the original California version (slightly shorter).

Thanks for all the input regarding removing the California smog cannister. Plugging the vacuum line and leaving the other hose open works just fine. Also if anyone else is doing this modification you will notice that the cannister bracket also holds the front horn. I replaced the California bracket with a non-California version from Yamaha, about $25.00 and this makes the set up look real clean. Make sure you order the two allen head mounting bolts with the bracket since these are slightly different from the original California version (slightly shorter).

Somebody call the smog police.... Glad it worked out for you. You can always remount the cannister if some how you may have to. Never know with California laws. In Colorado a helmet is not required, but I get this motorcycle news letter and it has some of the saddest stories just because of the rider did not have any protection at all on.

BUMSTEER, are you from SoCal? If so, check out our SoCalRaider group https://www.mybikeforums.com/forums/group.php?groupid=12 .

Do you happen to have the part numbers that bracket and bolts?

ThANKS