MBF Motorcycle Forums banner

Non-Functional Spike Install

19K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  hawk60ce 
#1 ·
First I'd like to give credit to Myworld, Swomack, and Busajack for the idea. This is an easy mod that will radically change the look of the right side of your engine.

I bought the Vstar 1100 spike off ebay. Good Quality, heavy duty Billet with excellent chroming. Comes with some extra hardware, and 2 pieces I didn't use.
Hardware Needed:
2- flat head screws-m6 x 44mm (1 ¾“)
2- ¼” x 3/8” x 1” Steel Spacers
Blue Loctite

Step 1
Relocate coils from right side. I followed Sleepercells recommendation on Raiderperformance.com, however you can leave the coils and place inside the spike once mounted.

Step 2
Measure the distance between the two holes on mounting plate included with your spike kit. (Mine was 94mm or 9 3/8”)

If you notice the holes don’t match up with the existing holes. If you use the rear hole as a starting point, you’ll find the front hole is approximately ¼” shy. Mark the position for the second hole and drill out using a ¼” bit. Depending on the hardware you choose, you may not need to drill out the rear hole. (I had some chrome hardware, so I drilled both holes to fit my bolts.)

Next you’ll need to cut down one of the spacers to 15mm or 5/8” for the offset of front bracket. (You could use a ½” spacer, but I feared it would rub on the front motor mount bolt head)

Now thread the bolts through the mounting plate, then spacers, put bolts through holes. Remember to use loctite on bolts, put washers and nuts and tighten. The flat head bolt is important for a flush fit of the spike on the rear hole, if you use a button head or hex head it’ll stick out!

Now it’s just a matter of bolting up the base to the mounting plate and setting the set screws (don’t forget the loctite here too!)
Put all the remaining wiring harnesses and coils (if you left them out) into the base.
Install spike onto base, remember the spike has 4 set screws, loctite all of these so you don’t ditch it on the first bump you hit!
(If you’ve got a black bike, I highly recommend spraying the air filter black prior to installation.)

It is possible to do this to the left side, but you do have to relocate the fuel regulator and drain lines.
Good luck and happy riding!

:chopper:

See less See more
#7 ·
NO!!:tour:

#8 ·
I havent seen a better explanation than that!!!:cheers:

#9 ·
I got a pic from above the seat, I actually think it's more out of the way than the origional cover! I'm down here at Panama City and don't have the memory card with me, I'll post it when I get a chance! Y'all come have a cold one at the beach with me!

#11 ·
First I'd like to give credit to Myworld, Swomack, and Busajack for the idea. This is an easy mod that will radically change the look of the right side of your engine.

I bought the Vstar 1100 spike off ebay. Good Quality, heavy duty Billet with excellent chroming. Comes with some extra hardware, and 2 pieces I didn't use.
Hardware Needed:
2- flat head screws-m6 x 44mm (1 ¾“)
2- ¼” x 3/8” x 1” Steel Spacers
Blue Loctite

Step 1
Relocate coils from right side. I followed Sleepercells recommendation on Raiderperformance.com, however you can leave the coils and place inside the spike once mounted.

Step 2
Measure the distance between the two holes on mounting plate included with your spike kit. (Mine was 94mm or 9 3/8”)

If you notice the holes don’t match up with the existing holes. If you use the rear hole as a starting point, you’ll find the front hole is approximately ¼” shy. Mark the position for the second hole and drill out using a ¼” bit. Depending on the hardware you choose, you may not need to drill out the rear hole. (I had some chrome hardware, so I drilled both holes to fit my bolts.)

Next you’ll need to cut down one of the spacers to 15mm or 5/8” for the offset of front bracket. (You could use a ½” spacer, but I feared it would rub on the front motor mount bolt head)

Now thread the bolts through the mounting plate, then spacers, put bolts through holes. Remember to use loctite on bolts, put washers and nuts and tighten. The flat head bolt is important for a flush fit of the spike on the rear hole, if you use a button head or hex head it’ll stick out!

Now it’s just a matter of bolting up the base to the mounting plate and setting the set screws (don’t forget the loctite here too!)
Put all the remaining wiring harnesses and coils (if you left them out) into the base.
Install spike onto base, remember the spike has 4 set screws, loctite all of these so you don’t ditch it on the first bump you hit!
(If you’ve got a black bike, I highly recommend spraying the air filter black prior to installation.)

It is possible to do this to the left side, but you do have to relocate the fuel regulator and drain lines.
Good luck and happy riding!

:chopper:

RaiderDave
Your spike looks great buddy.
Good post on how to do as well.
Swomack

#12 ·
Thanks man, I learned it by watching you!!!!

Jack, can you tap out the front hole even though there's only 3/4 of the hole viable for threads?!? I feared it would wiggle loose eventually, that's why I chose the nuts and bolts route.

#13 ·
Thanks man, I learned it by watching you!!!!

Jack, can you tap out the front hole even though there's only 3/4 of the hole viable for threads?!? I feared it would wiggle loose eventually, that's why I chose the nuts and bolts route.
I'm pretty sure he did tap his. I went the route you did with some loctite and she's good to go!! Nice work!! :firstplace:

#22 ·
I completely removed both coils from the left and right side, bolted them together under the tank that way I didn't have to stuff them in the spike. Update since I did this install:
Use good bolts for the mounting. I did not and it ended up shearing off the front bolt causing my spike to scratch the exhaust, just lucky I didn't lose it! Good Luck, I still love the spike and it gets alot of conversations started!

#25 ·
just be aware that there is a lot more **** on the left side. if you don't have an air box mod to remove the air box and replace it with velocity stacks I'm not sure you will be able to fit it.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.