Trike Steering Wobble

Thread: Trike Steering Wobble

Contributor

Default Trike Steering Wobble

My buddy's 05 S-10 trike shakes violently with the least uneven surface. RXR tracks are a real adventure especially if they cross the roadway at an angle. This occurs at any speed so an event at 70 or 80 mph will get your heart rate up in a hurry.

We understand geometry dictates some handlebar movement in these situations but his is extreme. After checking torque on the steering head and triple trees and finding both short of the spec we were sure, "problem solved". We did see improvement but compared to my 03 Deuce his is still a monster.

Any ideas? Anyone have an opinion on the hydraulic dampener sold by Chopper City?

Ralphie
    Desert Deuce
    Mesa, AZ

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyBikeForums.com
    Advertisements

My Trike pulled and had a wobble. This fixed it.

I had the same problem so I contacted Neil about the same thing because he had lived it. Here is a e-mail Neil sent me and sure was the answer.
    If you do the alignment the wobble is over for ever......

Adrian

Hey,

I thought you guys might enjoy reading this email I sent to Elliot. All the Trike owners I talk to complain of pulling, as did mine and Capt Bob's when we got them. This fixes them so you can ride hands off on flat roads. I don't believe the factory has a "wheel alignment" procedure in their assembly sequence. I also drilled my Heim joints and installed zerks in them so I can grease them. Mine started creaking after one day's ride in the rain.

Neil

I made up two simple tools. The first is a 2" X 4" with a yardstick affixed to each side. The tool is designed so it can sit on the floor and be placed on either the right side of the front tire or the left with the measurement starting from zero.

The second tool, in the foreground and in the picture below, is a board with a laser pen wire tied to it. The board is just the right length so it rests against the rear rim without touching the tire.

I simply place the yardstick on the floor against the front tire directly below the axle, hold the laser board (the narrow side directly opposite the laser) against the rim in the back, press the laser pen light switch and note the distance from the front tire on one side (port?). I then repeat the procedure on the other side (starboard?).

I have mine set up so the starboard measurement is 1/8" more than the port measurement. This cants the rear end slightly to the right which drives the trike slightly to the left to counteract the slope of the road.

Is this enough detail? Am I being clear?

Cheers,
    Neil

People are lonely because they build Walls Instead of Bridges.

Contributor

Thanks Adrian,

I read a very detailed 3 part write-up from Neil on trike alignment and steering head adjustment when we first started this project. I'm sure it was posted on the BHRA site but I haven't been able to locate it now that I really need it. In fact, we used his instructions to adjust and torque the front end, but saw the other alignment steps as addressing tracking problems, not wobble problems. Our mistake...

Has anyone pulled the body on a Sierra Trike? Anything tricky there?

Ralphie
    Desert Deuce
    Mesa, AZ

Contributor

Found It! Ran a search on "Neil"....thanks again...

Ralphie
    Desert Deuce
    Mesa, AZ