Do I need a new battery ?

Thread: Do I need a new battery ?

Default Do I need a new battery ?

It seems like I am having to charge the battery every time I use my Raider (about every other week). I did not ride for most of the winter. I have also heard that I may need to just add water to the battery, how true is that? Should I just buy a new battery?
    i would appreciate any pointers thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyBikeForums.com
    Advertisements

How old is your bike/battery?
    Pathological Motorcycle Junkie
    www.RaiderPerformance.com

If your battery is the add water type, and the level is low, it might work, but often the low level allows the plates to oxidize. Try adding water if you can. If you can't the battery is probably done for. What are the voltages before you start it, and when it is running?

5. Remove Advertisements
    MyBikeForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by NJRaider View Post
    How old is your bike/battery?
    The bike is a 2009 Raider, 17000 miles, I bought it 2 years ago with 14000 miles. I would think they had replaced the battery but I do not know that for sure. So the battery may be just as old.

Veteran Member

Speaking from experience the original battery installed in the Raider tends to last a long time, you may be due for a new one.
    cheers
    Soupie :-)
    Always drink upstream from the herd and remember, wherever you go...there you are.

If you are having to continuously recharge the battery it is bad - get a new battery and keep it on a battery tender during the winter the new one should last 4-5 yrs.
    ROADKILL SEA-ROAR Member

www.raiderrally.com

Default Thank you

Thank you very much, i bought a new battery, should be here soon. Weather is getting really nice for a ride, can't wait to get on the road again.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider Beast View Post
    The bike is a 2009 Raider, 17000 miles, I bought it 2 years ago with 14000 miles. I would think they had replaced the battery but I do not know that for sure. So the battery may be just as old.

3k miles in 2 years? what happened?
    We should all start trying our best here. http://www.madeinusa.com/?action=showd&page=home

Default Its a long story

Quote Originally Posted by NHRAIDER View Post
    3k miles in 2 years? what happened?
    Hehehe I knew I was going to be called on that!
    Lets just say that when you are the newbie at work, they give you all the work, no weekends.

But I got my new battery, added a B.A.M and lowered it with a L&M kit. It feels like a dream!! Hopefully the weather cooperates

Default Battery problems

Quote Originally Posted by Raider Beast View Post
    It seems like I am having to charge the battery every time I use my Raider (about every other week). I did not ride for most of the winter. I have also heard that I may need to just add water to the battery, how true is that? Should I just buy a new battery?
    i would appreciate any pointers thanks
    I have installed tow raider factory batteries and one Lithium since 2012. My dealer kept saying the "heavy" crank was the problem causing the hard cranking. I finally just told them to check the starter. Sure enough, all the problems were in the starter. I could have saved all the cost of the batteries and used my warrenty, if the dealer had paid attention from the beginning. This was my solution. Maybe yours too.