E-bay scammer alert for Boss Hoss

Thread: E-bay scammer alert for Boss Hoss

Default E-bay scammer alert for Boss Hoss

Scammer alert on e-bay for Boss Hoss.

I listed my Boss Hoss on e-bay – seems like there is some type of phishing scam taking place.

(What is phishing, From Wikipedia : Phishing is a way of attempting to acquire sensitive information such as usernames, passwords and credit card details by masquerading as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication. Communications purporting to be from popular social web sites, auction sites, online payment processors or IT administrators are commonly used to lure the unsuspecting public. Phishing is typically carried out by e-mail spoofing or instant messaging,[1] and it often directs users to enter details at a fake website whose look and feel are almost identical to the legitimate one.)

Here is what they were did :-

Firstly, they bid on my e-bay bike auction and they were the highest bidder at the end of the auction and had 1 prior purchase so had a 100% rating (probably a fake buy to get their rating).

So e-bay sends myself and the seller an e-mail saying that I sold my bike and that they were the winner and for me to contact the buyer and secure the $500 deposit via PayPal.
    So, I send a PayPal request to the buyer for the $500 down payment and request the balance via a Cashers Check – now they have my e-mail address to make a payment to via
    PayPal.

I also send them a separate e-mail message via e-bay. The buyer is apparently in Oslo,
    Norway and I also ask for details on how they intend to collect or ship the bike.

I never hear back from the buyer at all, and they do not pay the deposit via PayPal.
    The next day, I get an e-mail from another dude, or same scammer but different e-mail address.

This e-mail looks like it comes from e-bay, but the URL has “e-bay-inc” in the address and none of the links work – it appears and looks like the message comes from the genuine e-bay message, but it is not.

This 2nd e-mailer (or same scammer with another e-mail address) now states that he/she/it wants to buy my bike cash.

Buyer beware and also seller beware

It seems like these scammers are somehow going to try to get hold of my bank account, needless to say I’m not communicating with them any longer.

So if someone bids on your e-bay auction, especially with low prior bid count a send them an e-mail and ask if they are a genuine buyer, if you don’t her back from them, then cancel their bid.

I now have to wait 4 days, before I can let e-bay know that I was almost scammed by a non-paying buyer and a phishing ploy, and will have to file a request to have my e-bay fees reversed which are about $140.

Some people are lower than shark sh1t in shallow water.
    Cheers
    Blueflame

Rode Wet, Put away Hard.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyBikeForums.com
    Advertisements

Just a cuppla things - I luv ya bro but never, EVER, accept a cashiers check for payment from anyone you don't know. Period. Huge mistake. Bank wire transfer or cash ONLY. Always. And if this "other" guy is offering to pay cash then fine - call his bluff and have him meet you somewhere in a public place. Good luck.
    Sonny's '09 350/385 Fuel Injected SB

"I don't give people hell - I say the truth and people think it's hell" - Harry S. Truman

Thanks for the heads up.

A guy sent me a cashiers cheque in 2004 for $40,000USD for one of my bikes...took it to the bank and all 3 ladys PLUS the bank manager all looked at the item and thought it was legit..

We called the branch on the US Bank that it was claimed to be drawn on and they said to look for a specific number on the cheque...can't remember exactly where...it was not there...the US bank then stated bogus cheque.

I was not going to let the bike go even if the $$$ had been deposited...I would have waited for it to clear..

They are getting very very good at scams.
    Barry.... the CANUCK HOSS

"Get on with riding" or "Get on with dying"...one of the 2 because you can't do both!!

Be advised that cashier's checks can be fraudelent or genuine (but stolen). The check will "clear" when deposited, giving you access to some of the money and then 3-4 weeks later (after the check goes through it's channels and of course after you no longer have the bike) your bank will notify you that the check was in fact a fraud and they will withdraw the funds from your account, plus interest, and also charge you a fee for doing this. This is a very common scam and one that people continue to fall for. There is no danger whatsoever in giving someone your bank acct. info for a wire transfer which is absolutely 100% safe and not reversible. Do not EVER accept a cashier's check from anyone you do not know. If anyone balks at wanting to do a wire transfer then that is a huge red flag IMO.

"I don't give people hell - I say the truth and people think it's hell" - Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
    There is no danger whatsoever in giving someone your bank acct. info for a wire transfer which is absolutely 100% safe and not reversible. Do not EVER accept a cashier's check from anyone you do not know. If anyone balks at wanting to do a wire transfer then that is a huge red flag IMO.
    A wire transfer is great for the seller but NOT the buyer...no guarantees that what you bought is what you get...hmmm?? Sheet .....that sounds vaguely toastely familiar!!!!
    Barry.... the CANUCK HOSS

"Get on with riding" or "Get on with dying"...one of the 2 because you can't do both!!

Years ago I met this retired police officer that played in high end
    hot rods. May buy or sell two or three a year. He made good
    monies.

He told me to use only wire transfer, but with this warning.

Always open a new small account to have the funds transfered to.
    The reason is YES with your acct number the other party could clean
    out that account.........

I went to my bank and talked to the manager and told him this is what
    I heard...........He said that it was true, but that he fraud unit of the
    bank would catch it with-in three or four weeks and refund my money.

Well, three or four weeks of being broke was not in my game plan.

My comment was you guys have been in business for 100 years and you
    can't figure out a safe way to transfer money......Sheet.......

Therefor I keep a small account with about $ 500.00 in it just for this
    purpose. When the funds clear the wire transfer, I pull the amount from
    the small account into my regular account.

No problems in the last 10 years.

Geez

I don't believe that to be true at all, regardless of what you were told. Your checking account number is in clear view for everyone to see on evey check you write so what's the difference? You giving someone a router # in addition to your account number doesn't enable them to clean out your account. If that happens then you've given them more information than necessary. Wire transfer is still the safest way to transfer large sums of money.

Having a separate small account for such online transactions to do business with unknown jackasses is a good idea, so that they can’t clean out your entire savings/checking account.

There was some kind of scam involved using Western Union for wire transfers, so this is also not totally safe. This scam usually involved a seller having something for sale at a totally lowball price, then you buy it and they want payment via Western Union – they get the money and you get nada.

Cashiers checks can be fraudulent as well – but – nothing I sell is leaving until it clears. Once I did accept a Wells Fargo cashier check and we did the exchange at the local Wells Fargo Bank.

Any more – I think I’m staying away from online transactions such as e-bay and Craigslist. There are too many scammers out there. At the very least make contact with the buyer/seller, get a telephone number and speak to the person. Scammers in Nigeria (or wherever) won’t speak with you, and if they don’t cancel their bid.

Anyway – I had my bike listed so low, and no “real” buyers plus I rode the Boss yesterday and today – what a blast – blew out the cobwebs and let those pipes sing.

I’m keeping it.
    Cheers
    Blueflame

Rode Wet, Put away Hard.

Once again someone can only clean out your savings or checking accounts if you give them the information to do so. Your account #'s are on every check you write for everyone to see so it's no big secret. A separate account isn't necessary at all unless it just makes you feel better. A wire transfer, done properly, is rock solid and 100% secure. Cash is king also of course. Any transaction with people you don't know or trust involving cashier's checks and especially...omg...Western Union is almost ALWAYS a scam attempt. It's just that simple. That's the world we live in. Western Union is the worst. If you insist on wanting to take a cashier's check from an unknown individual I would not let the merchandise go for AT LEAST a month after depositing the check, because that's how long it takes for the fraudulent check to surface, and the scammers know that. No legitimate buyer should balk at your request for a wire transfer.

Cash could be fake as well.

Ever paid for something with a $100 note and they write on the note with some kind of pen viewed under a night light to verify that it isn't a fake note.

Imagine showing up at the bank with $20 K in fake $100 notes because you though that a cash deal was king.
    Cheers
    Blueflame

Rode Wet, Put away Hard.

Yes of course obviously that's always a possibility and if it were me taking that large an amount of cash I would bring it to my bank where I know the branch manager along with the buyer for verification. Not a big deal. I've done it before. I certainly wouldn't just accept 20K in $100's and hope they were all good. That's almost as bad an idea as taking a cashier's check. Wire transfer is still the best and safest, and preferred method. It's used in the business world every day.

Isn't the best idea to set up a totally separate account and have the money wire transfered to that account until it clears , withdraw the money and then close that account . Until it clears the bike goes nowhere .
    Jack DeLelys......2000 Boss Hoss 350/400 HP

You might want to do that with a PayPal account but it's simply not necessary with a wire transfer. There is no "clearing" involved. Once the process is finished and the money is in your account it's a done deal and not reversible.

South Texas, & Around the World, Across the Nation and up your street

There is no danger whatsoever in giving someone your bank acct. info for a wire transfer which is absolutely 100% safe and not reversible.
    if you do not want to give a unknown person your banking info, it is easy to open an account for only the wire transfer, get the money transferred, then close the account.
    i have had the first wire transfers in my life recently, one from Barry (went perfect, no issue) and the other from my coworker in Korea who lives in Norway. He had to make multiple transfers but all went well. there is like a $20 fee for each transfer and the transfers from Norway take like 3 business days. he provided the receipt, then it cleared my bank in 3 days. the canada transfer cleared immediately.

i had several scammers contact me when i listed bikes on autotrader and Oodle.

this was one of them

Hello,
    Thanks again for your immediate response,
    I am okay with the price of $36,000 without further negotiations.I think yours is better than what i was given elsewhere. Payment will get to you in a cashier check of $40,000, this amount is expected to cover both the shipping and any other expenses that might incur in the course of this transaction and my shippment. So you are required to deduct the cost of your vehicle $36,000 when payment is received and give the balance of $4,000 to the shipper for him to be able to offset shipping fees, tax / other charges and cosmetic repair costs...
    Upon receiving your payment and balance sent down to the shipper, whom will come for pick up (of Bike & signing of title papers), and deliver to the prepaid shipper...
    Confirm this and forward your data for payment to be made out as quick as possible.
    LEGAL NAMES:
    ADDRESS:
    PHONE NUMBER:
    NOTE: PAYMENT WILL BE SENT TO YOU RIGHT AWAY ONCE YOU FORWARD THE REQUIRED INFORMATION.

Thanks in anticipation of your understanding and wishing you a happy new year.
    Kind Regards:

and one of my responses:

Fabio,
    The payment will be required to be sent via bank wire transfer to a bank account of which I will set up only for this purchase, as we all know there are a lot of scammers on the internet. I am in no hurry to sell as currently I am at work. I will be contacting my attorney later today via email to draw up a contract for us to both sign before any transaction takes place. At that time, before I send you wire transfer information, I will need your pertinent information to be able to complete this transaction. This being a copy of your current driver license and copy of your Social security card (to verify identification on driver license) this information will be required to be sent to me BEFORE I send you my pertinent banking information.
    So, I am waiting on you.

Never a reply after the hook is set.

Darryl
    http://www.mybikeforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6299&dateline=1324169  629

Signature gigs are Lame,,,

Yes that is the classic format of the scam attempt but again if it makes you feel more secure you can open a separate account if you like just for the wire transfer but it isn't necessary as if you give someone only the information needed for the transfer (account #, routing #, etc.) then it is a perfectly safe method of transferring money without worry. I have been dealing in high dollar wire transfers both domestically and internationally for years with something I do on the side with people I do not know without any problems whatsoever. International transfers may involve a delay before the money shows up in your account but domestic transfers are for the most part immediate, just like you transferring money online from your own savings account to checking account. Once the money is in your account the deal is finished as it will not show up in your account unless the sender had the necessary funds to begin with, and he cannot by any means withdraw it back out of your account with only the information you provided to him.

And furthermore if I'm feeling frisky and since I get a lot of those types of scam emails in my side hobby I go ahead and tell them to FedEx overnight me a cashier's check for the amount, making them pay the $20-$30 or whatever it actually costs them to send it and when I get the checks I tear them up and throw them in the trash. Then I get another threatening email saying they're gonna report me to the CIA, FBI, KGB, PTA, SPCA, NAACP, whatever and then I tell them to go ahead and F*** off and then I never hear from them again because they're all coming from somewhere overseas anyway. I told one guy my dog ate the check and could he overnight me another one which he did (at another $30 or so) and then I told him my cat spilled spaghetti sauce on it and my bank wouldn't take it as they would only accept a check with beef gravy on it and could he overnight me another one which he did (at more cost to him) and then he finally caught on and I never heard from him again either. And then there's the time I told another guy I wanted to have sex with the "shipping agent" who was going to come over and pick up my item and I never heard back from him either after that. Darn. I could tell you stories you wouldn't believe. And I don't give a rat's a$$ if somebody shows up at my house or not (yes I've given some my address) cos I'll shoot the first POS scammer who tries to walk in on me unannounced. Makes no difference to me cos I just don't give a sh$t. Little things like that make my happy.... Now I think I'll make myself another drink and wait for the doorbell to ring.....

South Texas, & Around the World, Across the Nation and up your street

And furthermore if I'm feeling frisky and since I get a lot of those types of scam emails in my side hobby I go ahead and tell them to FedEx overnight me a cashier's check for the amount, making them pay the $20-$30 or whatever it actually costs them to send it and when I get the checks I tear them up and throw them in the trash. Then I get another threatening email saying they're gonna report me to the CIA, FBI, KGB, PTA, SPCA, NAACP, whatever and then I tell them to go ahead and F*** off and then I never hear from them again because they're all coming from somewhere overseas anyway. I told one guy my dog ate the check and could he overnight me another one which he did (at another $30 or so) and then I told him my cat spilled spaghetti sauce on it and my bank wouldn't take it as they would only accept a check with beef gravy on it and could he overnight me another one which he did (at more cost to him) and then he finally caught on and I never heard from him again either.
    Now i really like this,,,,don't you know it eats the cornflakes when they realize they have been scammed,,,,
    Last edited by Noodles 434; 07-13-2011 at 10:29 PM.
    http://www.mybikeforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6299&dateline=1324169  629

Signature gigs are Lame,,,

Sonny, I like your style!

Tim

Contributor

And furthermore if I'm feeling frisky and since I get a lot of those types of scam emails in my side hobby I go ahead and tell them to FedEx overnight me a cashier's check for the amount, making them pay the $20-$30 or whatever it actually costs them to send it and when I get the checks I tear them up and throw them in the trash. Then I get another threatening email saying they're gonna report me to the CIA, FBI, KGB, PTA, SPCA, NAACP, whatever and then I tell them to go ahead and F*** off and then I never hear from them again because they're all coming from somewhere overseas anyway. I told one guy my dog ate the check and could he overnight me another one which he did (at another $30 or so) and then I told him my cat spilled spaghetti sauce on it and my bank wouldn't take it as they would only accept a check with beef gravy on it and could he overnight me another one which he did (at more cost to him) and then he finally caught on and I never heard from him again either. And then there's the time I told another guy I wanted to have sex with the "shipping agent" who was going to come over and pick up my item and I never heard back from him either after that. Darn. I could tell you stories you wouldn't believe. And I don't give a rat's a$$ if somebody shows up at my house or not (yes I've given some my address) cos I'll shoot the first POS scammer who tries to walk in on me unannounced. Makes no difference to me cos I just don't give a sh. Little things like that make my happy.... Now I think I'll make myself another drink and wait for the doorbell to ring.....
    great idea

Default do you remember the guys andle

there a guy now who is top bidder on my bike on ebay i hope it aint him
    502 owner

Send him an e-mail viia e-bay, to see if he responds.

Ask the bidder if they are a serious buyer and for his tel number and address.

If they do not respond withing 24 hours cancel the bid.

If you let his bid ride and he shafts you at the end at the end of the auction, you have to wait 4 days before you can register a claim with e-bay, and then another 4 days before they will cancel the transaction.

Meanwhile you can't move forward with a potential sale, or re-list. Sucks !

Good luck - let us know how it turns out.
    Cheers
    Blueflame

Rode Wet, Put away Hard.

The deadbeat on my auction was : runlok2011

If this is the same on your auction - cancel the bid ASAP.

Also, if they have less that 10 positive feedbacks and at leat a 99% rating - cancel the bid unless they contact you.
    Cheers
    Blueflame

Rode Wet, Put away Hard.

Default New scam on ebay

2001 57 chev trike goes for 8,000 dollars just listed.

I cant see what the e-bay user-id is on your auction as they encode it, but this bidder has got 1 positive feedback but has bid on 174 auctions in the last 30 days - I think that the scammer is bidding on your auction.

Here is what I can see :-

Bidder Information
    Bidder: 1***0( 1 )
    Item description: Item Title: Boss Hoss : BHC-3E
    Bids on this item: 4

30-Day Summary
    Total bids: 172
    Items bid on: 84
    Bid activity (%) with this seller: 2%
    Bid retractions: 0
    Bid retractions (6 months): 0

30-Day Bid HistoryCategory No. of Bids Seller Last Bid

eBay Motors > Harley-Davidson 6 Seller 1 1d 14h
    eBay Motors > Big Dog 5 Seller 2 2d 17h
    eBay Motors > Custom Built Motorcycles 3 Seller 3 17h
    eBay Motors > Custom Built Motorcycles 3 Seller 4 11h
    eBay Motors > Custom Built Motorcycles 6 Seller 5 1d 14h
    eBay Motors > Custom Built Motorcycles 1 Seller 6 4d 2h
    eBay Motors > Harley-Davidson 3 Seller 7 8h
    eBay Motors > Boss Hoss 2 Seller 8 6d 6h
    eBay Motors > Harley-Davidson 6 Seller 9 3d 14h
    eBay Motors > Triumph 1 Seller 10 3d 9h
    eBay Motors > Harley-Davidson 1 Seller 11 8h
    eBay Motors > Suzuki 1 Seller 12 1d 18h
    eBay Motors > Custom Built Motorcycles 2 Seller 13 5d 7h
    eBay Motors > Harley-Davidson 2 Seller 14 12h
    eBay Motors > Boss Hoss 4 Seller 15 5d 11h
    eBay Motors > Harley-Davidson 2 Seller 16 7h
    eBay Motors > Custom Built Motorcycles 2 Seller 17 5d 13h
    eBay Motors > Custom Built Motorcycles 1 Seller 18 1d 6h
    eBay Motors > Custom Built Motorcycles 1 Seller 18 1d 8h
    eBay Motors > Harley-Davidson 1 Seller 19 16h
    eBay Motors > Harley-Davidson 1 Seller 20 2d 8h
    eBay Motors > Harley-Davidson 2 Seller 21 1d 14h
    eBay Motors > Harley-Davidson 1 Seller 22 2d 14h
    eBay Motors > Big Dog 3 Seller 23 13h
    eBay Motors > Big Dog 1 Seller 24 4d 21h
    eBay Motors > Boss Hoss 1 Seller 25 6d 15h
    eBay Motors > Custom Built Motorcycles 2 Seller 17 <1h
    eBay Motors > Harley-Davidson 1 Seller 26 5d 14h
    eBay Motors > Harley-Davidson 2 Seller 27 4d 14h
    eBay Motors > Bourget 2 Seller 28 5d 6h
    Cheers
    Blueflame

Rode Wet, Put away Hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
    The deadbeat on my auction was : runlok2011

If this is the same on your auction - cancel the bid ASAP.

Also, if they have less that 10 positive feedbacks and at leat a 99% rating - cancel the bid unless they contact you.
    The same guy bid on a 606 I was selling and didn't win because I ended the auction for a guy who called but I remember the name

Same guy is also bidding on the 1994 clutch bike on Ebay! He's also bid on the 2002 502 bike on there. Check the bidders list on these and he turns up.

Tim