throttle cable

Thread: throttle cable

Default throttle cable

the throttle cable stuck open the other day tn my 05 with joker controls. the problem is in the elbow right under the throttle housing. should the plastic sleeve have some of the plastic removed from the inside bend to keep from binding, or has this been wore through? if it is wore through can I buy just the sleeve?

Scott
    I am not a wannabe, I am who I want to be!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyBikeForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    the throttle cable stuck open the other day tn my 05 with joker controls. the problem is in the elbow right under the throttle housing. should the plastic sleeve have some of the plastic removed from the inside bend to keep from binding, or has this been wore through? if it is wore through can I buy just the sleeve?

Scott
    This is just the warning that you need to replace the complete cable unit. You were lucky or blessed.

Adrian

People are lonely because they build Walls Instead of Bridges.

Sotty - like Adrian said - it is a sign of worse things to come. Jerons did that and the next week the cable was worn through the elbow - not good. Youmight check to see if you have a lot of rust or corrosion on the grip end of the cable if that is it you can remove the inner and clean the casing - but you still have to take it apart -

Melbourne, Florida...East Coast.. 1 Hr South of Daytona

Scott, I just replaced my cable on my V8 Chopper last night,it broke where it attaches at the handle 57.00 for the chrome mesh and very easy install and it also has Joker controls
    ........Kimm..... ... V8 Chopper Bike.................... Kristi........ V8 Chopper Trike.......................Melbourne, Florida

.........................http://whttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzmFkxPuPcg.................... ww.youtube.com/watch?v=A6XUmfRoLl0

I have a new cable for the inside. Do I need to get a new elbow or just the sleeve? The old cable looked good no rust.

I have found, after breaking a cable, that leaving a little play in the throttle grip, maybe about 1/4", will take pressure off the cable at the elbow and the cable will last longer. I also sprayed graphite in the cable sleeve at both ends and worked it in by sliding the cable in and out several times. Someone on the Board also suggested that WalMart has a bicycle cable that some folks carry works well as a spare. Maybe someone will chirp in with the necessary info.
    Buck
    02 small block
    WIFE- '06 Roadliner

Melbourne, Florida...East Coast.. 1 Hr South of Daytona

I tried to feed a walmart bike cable thru my housing with no luck, the new cable is only 30 to 60.00 depending on which you need, and after breaking down ,I want to make sure it's fixed correctly so it doesn't happen again, Ever try driving and working the linkage with your fingers on a hot engine
    ........Kimm..... ... V8 Chopper Bike.................... Kristi........ V8 Chopper Trike.......................Melbourne, Florida

.........................http://whttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzmFkxPuPcg.................... ww.youtube.com/watch?v=A6XUmfRoLl0

My next throttle cable isn't going to have a bend . The bend is always going to be a potential problem . They sell the straight ones with an adjuster like the elbow type only without the bend .You just got to make sure a straight cable will clear everything . Lots of us used to run this kind of single cable on our old choppers back in the day before they started with the push pull type cables . They were trouble free .
    Jack DeLelys......2000 Boss Hoss 350/400 HP

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I have a new cable for the inside. Do I need to get a new elbow or just the sleeve? The old cable looked good no rust.

Scott

Save it for the time you brake one or someone else needs one, but spend the money and get the works....I had a guy patch up his only to get a call that it froze up.

Adrian

OK
    Thanks for the help.
    Scott

Jack, Who is "they" that sell the straight ones? Haven't had problem but want to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by calli12 View Post
    Jack, Who is "they" that sell the straight ones? Haven't had problem but want to avoid.
    Dennis Kirk , J+P Cycles , Drag specialties , places like that sell what they call universal throttle cables . The key is the cable has to have the correct threaded end to screw into your throttle housing , I think it's 5/16"-18 thread or it is easy to make your own threaded adapter . The other end of the cable ( carb end ) is not important because your going to cut it off anyway . Make sure you buy one long enough also .

Quote Originally Posted by HogV8 View Post
    My next throttle cable isn't going to have a bend . The bend is always going to be a potential problem . They sell the straight ones with an adjuster like the elbow type only without the bend .You just got to make sure a straight cable will clear everything . Lots of us used to run this kind of single cable on our old choppers back in the day before they started with the push pull type cables . They were trouble free .
    Jack

Most all the stuff you do is to be admired but a straight cable?? I sure don't know how you will route it. I want every thing up out of the way.
    Cozaey has over 65,000 miles on her cable and it is still just fine.

Adrian

I Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Jack

Most all the stuff you do is to be admired but a straight cable?? I sure don't know how you will route it. I want every thing up out of the way.
    Cozaey has over 65,000 miles on her cable and it is still just fine.

Adrian
    Actually no . I was thinking about having the cable housing adjuster on the carb end and making a small , short adapter for the handlebar throttle housing so there would be plenty of flexibility on the top end to make the cable routing simple .

I'm going to do this and when it's done I will post pictures .