Bikes vs. trikes

Thread: Bikes vs. trikes

Veteran Member

Default Bikes vs. trikes

OK, we need something new to argue about and besides, I'm missing the 'back and forth' from some of our most recent 'threads' or 'wars' about specific manufacturers and the parental ancesttry of those who ride particular brands. I actually like the arguments, it shows some passion. So here goes (no references to specific manufacturers or models):

Trikes are superior to bikes for a number of reasons.

A) You can carry parts and gear in the trunk. I mean serious parts and tools like belts, hoses, throttle cables, tool sets, fuel pumps, water pumps, oil, tranny fluid, wet riding gear, guns (no carbine fits in a pocket), etc. This will endear you to your riding friends, like having a pickup or in ground pool in the summer.

B) Alternatively you can carry beer of Black Jack and cokes in the trunk for those refreshment breaks.

C) You can fit 2 blondes on the vehicle instead of one, probably 3 or 4 with the Sierra trike model. (the wisdom of this depends on your situation).

D) You can have floorboards so that you can move your feet and the rain does not splash up on you.

E) No 'oops my foot slipped at the light' or on gravel or you take off with the kickstand down and you go down sideways (those of you who say 'never with me' are mostly liars on this one).

F) Park in the dirt or soft ground, it won't fall over from the stand.

G) Your wife or rider won't say '500 miles on that seat today- no way'.

H) For those of us balance impaired (could be medical or alcohol related), a more stable ride.

I) Wider rear wheel contact ares (usually) so faster hookups- if you are smokin' you ain't movin'.

This should be fun, let's roll.
    V8 Bike Prof

It's o.k. if you disagree with me, I fully respect your right to be wrong.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyBikeForums.com
    Advertisements

Saw these in Sturgis years and years ago..early nineties... and fell in love...love the buckets, the naked frame, the springer front end, just too cool...would be my first choice if entry into Canada and I was wanting a trike...give me 10 years or better on Darryl's BB laying rubber and I will consider a trike...I think any V8 trike is WAY COOL..any other conversion..Honda etc is just that..a conversion.

You guys South of the border can have almost anything you want..here it is only Boss Hoss or Harley...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Barry.... the CANUCK HOSS

"Get on with riding" or "Get on with dying"...one of the 2 because you can't do both!!

Veteran Member

I can say that Bikes over-rule trikes where I sit... because I sit on a bike. No other excuses.
    "Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Not a Trike person,rode Harleys with side cars,never liked them.The bros/sisters who need a trike,good for you it's all about being in the wind.One of my first cousins and best friends had to go to a trike because of Parkinson's.Another good friend went to a trike because of spinal damage.No matter the reason, trikes are a good thing for those that need or just want one.

Both are cool, soon i will have two wheels again and won't be able to carry anything as there is no storage but that is my decision and a back pack will be with me when the wife goes with me. i look forward to it.
    trikes are cool as well, V8 trikes and they got some bada,, ones out there too. 6.22 in the 1/8th on a trike is just wild.

Darryl
    Darryl Campbell

Dog who ever said anyone who rides a trike needs to ride one?
    I can still ride any V8 bike I choose but would rather ride a trike!

Darryl 6.22 on a trike is gonna sound slow in a few months.

Riding a V8 trike in my opinion is about as good as it gets.
    One other advantage Steve didn't mention is the Police don't
    seem to bother trike riders nearly as much as the bikes. That
    is until you hang a 10# Nos bottle on it.

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckHoss View Post
    Saw these in Sturgis years and years ago..early nineties... and fell in love...love the buckets, the naked frame, the springer front end, just too cool...would be my first choice if entry into Canada and I was wanting a trike...give me 10 years or better on Darryl's BB laying rubber and I will consider a trike...I think any V8 trike is WAY COOL..any other conversion..Honda etc is just that..a conversion.

You guys South of the border can have almost anything you want..here it is only Boss Hoss or Harley...
    Barry,

10 years? Well I was there about 3 years ago. I drove a long rail, Las Vegas trike, did not like it, priced out a new Harley SE Ulta, then to triked it, cost more then my 3 year old used BH 502 trike with 202 miles on it.

A used BH is a bargain, I have had more them one person at a mission/run stunned that they paid more for their trike then I did for the BH 502, I never really tell them what I paid, just I paid less, if its true that is.

Looked at the V8 Choppers trikes, looked great, seating nice, no history, passed. Flame suit on

The Goldwing, well I was only 62 at the time and not old enough, LOL

They take up more parking space, people do not park near you.

On a mission/run I ride in the center, my butt is so big no one can ride next to me.

You carry more fuel, so you can get 100 miles not just 70, wow?

You have three tires to wear out and buy instead of two!

Got lots more storage space to haul stuff you are not going to ever use.

John

I like them both, but an accident made me go the direction I am at now. If Boss Hoss had made the S/S or V/8 Chopper were around, in 2003 I would have bought one instead of a trike, but today I am glad they didn't. I had ordered my 32 and was going to pick it up after the Tan-tahar rally. I rode my 2 wheeled Boss on a guided ride, when we got behind a bunch of trikes (Boss Hoss) and my first thought was these guys are going to slow us down. Well to my surprise the trikes were much harder to keep up with on a 2 wheeler than I thought.

I kept my 2 wheeler for a couple of years with the trike but it seemed to just get heaver and hotter every time I rode it.

We get more conversation about Bikes with a Trike. Older folks come over and talk because they can see themselves riding one.

I am many times happier that Cozaey is riding a trike instead of a 2 wheeler for safety reasons plus she likes to go way to fast.

I like to be able to relax and look around more on a trike plus I feel safer.

Adrian

People are lonely because they build Walls Instead of Bridges.

Veteran Member

On trikes you steer.

On bikes you counter-steer.

Bikes win for that reason alone in my book.

The flowing nature of a bike through the turns vs. the significant steering effort involved with a trike in a turn was surprising to me (at least on my wife's '32 Trike).

You win on all that other stuff Steve - except for the two blondes thing - like you're ever going to stumble into a three-way!!! ;-)

WB
    ANYTHING WORTH DOING IS WORTH OVER-DOING!

This is like comparing boats to jet skis. They are two different vehicles, the main similarity between bikes and trikes is each have a single wheel up front. Which one is more fun, trikes or bikes? Each of us has a preference but if I got off my bike and rode a trike I'd still have fun. One is a motorcycle, one isn't. I prefer motorcycles, I like to lean, I like the feeling that you become 'one with the bike' instead of just STEERING it like in a car or on a trike. I built a trike in 1964 with a big twin Harley in it and rode it for almost a year. It had a wine barrel on the back that we had drank the wine out of at a few of our parties. It was a blast and I wasn't crippled or anything like that, I just wanted to build a trike. I sold it cause I like bikes better. In my case I'll ride bikes till I can't. I would also like to have a V8 trike to ride whenever I felt like it. One other thing is that my Chopper keeps me feeling young. It's great to be in denial about being old.
    Last edited by SQ4MN; 03-17-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by V8 Perv View Post
    Dog who ever said anyone who rides a trike needs to ride one?
    I can still ride any V8 bike I choose but would rather ride a trike!

Darryl 6.22 on a trike is gonna sound slow in a few months.

Riding a V8 trike in my opinion is about as good as it gets.
    One other advantage Steve didn't mention is the Police don't
    seem to bother trike riders nearly as much as the bikes. That
    is until you hang a 10# Nos bottle on it.
    Hey Perv,I did say whoever needs or WANTS one,never meant to rain on anyones parade.Like a Good friend says that's why they make vanilla,strawberry,chocolate ice cream.I too am a drag racing fan,not into it like I used to but still play around.

looking forward to seeing your new times in the 1/8th Ron.

it is on the same trike or are you getting another?

i think both bikes and trikes are both motorcycles, one just has one more wheel and you need a motorcycle license to ride both legally. i have only rode one trike, a demo, and this was thr only chance i have had to ride one or i would have rode them more, but it is obvious they are as fun to me.

Darryl
    Darryl
    Darryl Campbell

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
    On trikes you steer.

On bikes you counter-steer.

Bikes win for that reason alone in my book.

The flowing nature of a bike through the turns vs. the significant steering effort involved with a trike in a turn was surprising to me (at least on my wife's '32 Trike).

You win on all that other stuff Steve - except for the two blondes thing - like you're ever going to stumble into a three-way!!! ;-)

WB
    Bill,

I resent that. I was in fact invited to a 3 way. Too bad it was 2 other guys :((

I was in a 3 way with 2 hot blonde girls last week but then I woke up from the dream.
    V8 Bike Prof

It's o.k. if you disagree with me, I fully respect your right to be wrong.

I have a need to lean.....I naturally list to one side anyways....

Steve, I don't know what you are talking about...you can fit WAY more blonds, brunettes or red heads on a bike!!!

Ricky
    (Redtro)

"That's all I've got to say about tha-at"!
    -Forest Gump

Two will fit on a bike just fine....

Tom Chadwell

4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul

What Tom is saying,

before he heads out ona spin......................

he must mount his bike............. a lilttle differently than others,

I think the reason is quite simple actually.....

he was limited to the location of the NOS bottles

LMAOOOOOOOO
    To all my friends', did you eat your veggies today?
    You could'a had a V-8 !!

way to go Barr, to take your pent up frustration out on others because you had a lousy basketball coach for the past 5 years and the original goal and directive of NCSU was to figure out why cow crap was brown and in paddys instead of in balls is no reason to start another arguement.
    BTW, thanks for supper!!!!!
    Buck
    02 small block
    WIFE- '06 Roadliner

Now lets see, I rode 2 wheels with two legs, now I ride 3 wheels with just one leg, So after some wondering I have decided that the real difference is in comfort on 2 wheels I always was in a hurry to get then leave, On 3 wheels I can get there fast and still have a few on lookers while I fuel up and enjoy the ride, so the moral of the story is, what you do on 2 legs and 2 wheels I do on three wheels and one leg. signing off Second Chance
    for some there's therapy, for the rest of us there's motorcycles

I think Steve pretty much covered all the bases so make mine a trike,too.
    Gosh,we love our 57.

Glad to see you posting again,Danny.
    Clint & Sherry Hooper
    2006 57 Chevy Boss Hoss trike
    "Whoever said money can't buy happiness never owned a Boss Hoss"

Tom
    What Bike?
    wayne

Advantage of a Trike would be that you could take leftovers from Martins KIng Cut prime rib home, if you cant finish that 25 oz monster...I didnt have that problem, so I guess I dont need a trike..!!! Was fun having lunch with you sir!

I do see a trike in my future, but it would have to be a radical machine, with no rear bodywork....like Mike The Stripe built....

Veteran Member

Yep, I agree Aldo, I'd like to do the same thing with my BB if I had issues riding a bike. open frame, like Mikethestripes....
    "Keep the magic alive!" He said.

I LOVE my trike...oh, wait...I forgot...Cheryl done took it!

Let me re-phrase that....Cheryl loves HER trike!

I'm back on the Valkyrie...lost a wheel and 245HP!
    Cruisin' Dave
    2002 Boss Hoss 32 Trike
    1997 Honda Valkyrie Tourer SE
    1980 Suzuki GN400 Cafe Racer
    1971 Honda CL100 Scrambler

Quote Originally Posted by Ric View Post
    Yep, I agree Aldo, I'd like to do the same thing with my BB if I had issues riding a bike. open frame, like Mikethestripes....
    Ric,

Just buy the back half of a Boss Hoss trike and away you go when you are ready...less the body of course.
    Barry.... the CANUCK HOSS

"Get on with riding" or "Get on with dying"...one of the 2 because you can't do both!!

Its a bike for me. Nothing wrong with a trike.

When I feel the need for an extra wheel, I flip off the top one of my 4 banger jeeps, fold down the windshield, and away go the doors.

The only thing I dont get is a hiway peg. Its ok tho', NOBODY but NOBODY wants to see one or both of my feet hangin out in the wind. Plus, no need to wear a bucket, got my tunes and a lighter. I got room for cheryl. Groceries too.

It dont go too fast, but I can go pretty far.

I still like the trike in the beach blanket bingo movie. I know many of you remember that movie series.

Foot clutch, hand shift and 4 speed, maybe a new 5 speed, but I doubt it.
    To all my friends', did you eat your veggies today?
    You could'a had a V-8 !!

Okay, let me say this about that,would like to try a high hp stripped down trike on the drag strip with just enough sticky to pull good G's but not enough to have to need wheelie bars.For that matter how do you boys keep the frontend down when under hard accelleration?