Winchester's Lexan Insert Valve Covers

Thread: Winchester's Lexan Insert Valve Covers

Default Winchester's Lexan Insert Valve Covers

Here are Pics of Jack Hardy's Lexan Insert Valve/Rocker Covers

"
    Jack Hardy
    Thanks for the favorable comments. The cat is out of the bag now. Jack P. and I had been waiting to post them till he got his on. Yes, I have the valve covers. I have the Short and Tall. V8 Choppers uses the perimeter bolt tall ones.The set on my BH trike and the ones Tom (PassNGas) has are perimeter bolt Chrome ones. Tom saw mine when it was at Bill Banks for my motor change over the winter and wanted a pair. He has basically the same motor as I do, 465 or 510 hp, both built by the same builder in NC and the only difference being the camshaft. Both have Dart Pro 1 heads. Jack Phillips has a pair that he is going to put on but wanted to get a set of Crane roller rocker arms before he put them on. He has the ZZ4 motor but has a pair of the conversion mounts. Jack has photos of both my trike and a BB of Ray Latham of Ray & Bev on the website. I have plenty of the SB and one pair of BB. I can do more BBs if requested. Everything is saved on two CNC machines. I enjoy talking about them so you can give me a call, Jack Hardy, (931)703-6312.

P.S. The tops are Lexan which will withstand the heat up to 350 deg. Yes, oil will shoot up (more like a splatter) on the underside but will shed off in less than 5 minutes. Do they leak? No. Mine were seeping at one corner on one valve cover and I tightened the screws after about 20 miles. No further problem. I also have extra tops and gaskets. If you drop a wrench on the Lexan, it is scratched. Jack P. said there was something you can get at the local airport normally used to polish airplane windshields which are Lexan."

Jack P.
    If interested you can check your FBO at our Local Airport about Lexan/Plex Polishes. I haven't flown many Fixed Wing's with Lexan inserts, but from late 70, as an Army Helo Pilot/Test Pilot/Maintenance a be-zillion Helos run-up or Test Flown with Maintenance Issues (Leaks) and Lexan sheets/sheds Oil much better than Plex.

Very few Helo Gearboxes DON'T have Lexan Sight Glass', and I know it gets Real Damn Hot Vicinity the Apache Main Tranny, it has a pair of rather large GE Turbine's on each side of it, and a Turbine APU & Shaft Driven Bleed Air Compressor bolted to it.

I will Polish my Lexan throughly inside & out before I install them in the Covers. Then the Lexan will shed Ga-Fingerprints, drips, smudges better than the well polished shiny metal bits

The 1st 12 Pics are of Jack's Awesome Hot Rod Trike, the last 3 of the Red/White Big Block, well done Jack!

"

Jack, I got way involved with our Home Build in SC & have only patted my Trike's behind a couple times in passing. I found out IMMEDIATELY Someone has to keep track of the "Subs", they don't always seem to hire the best help (why is That footer Ditch 2' more shallow than this?). Thanks for you patience Jack!

The Brick Masons have the controls for a few days on the Foundation, then I'll be back there for them to Set the House.
    Last edited by HAWK88; 06-11-2010 at 05:10 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyBikeForums.com
    Advertisements

I'd like to add a couple things here.

Winchester (Jack Hardy) did a Lot of research and leg-work setting up these Lexan Insert Valve/Rocker Covers. As he said, they don't make it go any faster, just more Bling. Of course we all like Bling! I included all the Pics he provided me to show that these Covers "catch your eye" from about any viewing angle. Might actually add a couple of questions from admirers to the "When did Harley start making These, or "what kind of Mileage does she get"" routine?

He also found a superb Machine Shop to CNC Machine the Cover for the insert. I've been blessed to see some fine Machine Work in Aviation, Heavy Equipment, and Cycles. I truly believe the detailed work on these covers equals any I've seen quality wise. I'll add a Pic below showing that there is even a "Splash Guard" Box that mounts under the Breather with will negate the need for the "Garter" Diaper around my filler neck on my Trike.

Also, if you don't like the "Slide Show" of pics in my above post, just click the blue "Next" icon button to the right of the Slide-show, and it'll take you to the Photobucket page I uploaded his Pics to, then click the Pic to get it full-size.

It looks like on the BB you have the breather holes going thru the metal part of the valve cover instead of the Lexan like the SB does.....Is the left side the same way???...and is the pic of the BB the short or tall covers??

Badger....Dave
    Last edited by BADGER Dave; 06-11-2010 at 07:17 AM.

Dave

Winchester can answer that question best, he can also put a Breather &/or PCV hole in the Lexan if you wish. Give him a call.

Veteran Member

interesting concept. i assume if you have fancy rockers it looks even better

however, when motor is running- isnt the sight of splotches resemble the gulf of mexico? unsightly to say the least?

does it splotch to begin with? i have no idea how they oil shoots inside the valve covers to begin with...

alex

Still thinking about them....My Royal Purple didn't stay purple very long....Thinking about adding some purple or red die to the oil...That ought to brighten it up a little...Whatta ya think???

I'll get in touch with him and get some questions answered and a price...

Badger...Dave

Like Jack said, I waxed mine on the under side with typical car wax before I put them on. The oil just splatters up on the underside, not shoots up and sheds off real quick. Even when running, the rocker arms are clearly visible. Yes, all roller rocker arms that I know about are some color, red, blue, or gold. As can be seen in the pics, mine are red. I thing Jack P. is getting gold. V8 bikes and trikes attract a lot of attention and these valve covers are just icing on the cake. I'm all about bling.
    A Fine is the Tax for doing Wrong; A Tax is the Fine for Doing Well.

Veteran Member

Default Oil Color

Badger Dave,

Are you on your first oil change with Royal Purple? If so the oil is VERY good at cleaning up crud left behind by other oils. It is not uncommon for the oil to get very dark very fast when doing so. After 1500 miles os so you could change it out and the oil should stay cleaner much longer. If it still gets dirty fast you have to look at a carb that is too rich or something wrong in the air cleaner department.

David

You'll never go wrong by doing the right thing
    Honesty is the best policy

Thanks David.....Have about 500 miles on the oil change,first time with Royal Purple.Still has just a little tint of purple color left but I'll change it at about 1500 miles and see what happens.....Just put on Marv's Big K&N a couple weeks ago so I can tell it's definately breathing better, maybe that will help.

Badger...Dave

Veteran Member

Dave,

I am not a huge fan of the K&N filter on the street. I have seen piles of data in fleet vehicles where the K&N does not run as clean as the OEM filters.

The only way you can tell for sure would be to pull an oil sample and look at the silicon values to see what the dirt level in the oil is. If it is greater than it should be I would reinstall the original filter and repeat the results. It takes as little as 50 parts per million to have an effect on the wear trends in the engine.

David

You'll never go wrong by doing the right thing
    Honesty is the best policy

Looks like Ray and Bevs Red and White 502

Veteran Member

David, not being previe to all the info you have seen
    in your line of work, I kinda always thought that a
    wet (oiled) paper filter would do better at air clearning
    than a dry paper element would??? Dry paper being
    most used in stock cars and trucks. But you're saying
    dry works better???

Paul H
    WELLLLLLLLLL La De Da

Veteran Member

I'm in the air filtration business by proxy as well, I'd be more inclined to lean towards the K&N filter, however!!!!! You have to clean and oil it at regular intervals to ensure it's ability to extract particulate matter as it draws air in.
    "Keep the magic alive!" He said.

I have had some good luck with K&N but most V/8 bikes don't go in the dirt or drive in bad dust like a big rig has to.

Adrian

People are lonely because they build Walls Instead of Bridges.

Where the mission of the day takes me; home is Wanganui!

Default Throwing this out there for guru advice please

Brian Ford has kindly sent me pictures of both sides of Kiwi Beauty (my '06 SB languishing forlornly in Christchurch New Zealand). Would anybody care to comment about whether the lower profile Lexan covers would fit as on one side there really seems to be minimal clearance, and it would be a pain in the proverbial to buy and ship them to New Zealand and then have them not fit.

Thanks very much for any advice!

PS additional and I'm sure really dumb question, on the left side behind the petcock, what is that sticking out of the cover? And how would it be plumbed into the Lexan cover?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Veteran Member

PCV " Positive crankcase ventilation" and
    it fits in a grommet just like the breather
    on the other side. Air comes in through the
    breather and out through the PCV into the
    back of the carb.

Paul H
    WELLLLLLLLLL La De Da

Default Lower Profile LEXAN Insert Rocker Covers

Doc;

The Center-to-Edge Bolt Adapters are about 1/4" ( the Metal Adapter Plate), plus that will add a 2'nd Sealing Surface, so add the Thickness of another good quality Gasket, probably another 1/4"ish.

If necessary to "nudge" your Tank up a bit, it's no problem, Heck, I raised my own Tank, & was too Bone-Hard Headed to empty the Fuel, damn good therapy for that Rotator Cuff Repair! I raised the Rear Tank Mount Bolts a couple inches & tapped the Fasteners into the Frame. I followed WAG/Grumpy's guidance there.

I just found some tubing (in my case Aluminum) that would fit Over the frame, sawed it in half length-wise, 2 part epoxied, and clamped it over the frame rail at the appropriate location. Next day I drilled through all that Metal & tapped threads for the Fasteners.

I raised the Rear to level the Tank, it was so nose high it trapped a Lot of Fuel aft of the Petcock.

I just re-drilled the front tank mount tabs to get the desired height there. Another reason for this process, for me, was to accommodate a totally different seat fitment.

Have I got you totally confused? WAG or Grumpy can point you to their Post about the Aft Tank Mount, I have Dame Bramage right now from Meds. I spent all day leaning over piddling with a mechanic's project and am paying for it with back pain, and the 800 mg Pain Med is just now kicking in, better living through Chemistry!!!!!!!!! Whoo-Hoooo!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Brian Ford has kindly sent me pictures of both sides of Kiwi Beauty (my '06 SB languishing forlornly in Christchurch New Zealand). Would anybody care to comment about whether the lower profile Lexan covers would fit as on one side there really seems to be minimal clearance, and it would be a pain in the proverbial to buy and ship them to New Zealand and then have them not fit.

Thanks very much for any advice!

PS additional and I'm sure really dumb question, on the left side behind the petcock, what is that sticking out of the cover? And how would it be plumbed into the Lexan cover?

Where the mission of the day takes me; home is Wanganui!

Thank you Paul / Hawk that was very helpful indeed, appreciated!!