Trike rear drum brakes

Thread: Trike rear drum brakes

Default Trike rear drum brakes

I've looked on the forums and Wags site, but couldn't find the info I need...

Anybody know what year Ford Ranger the rear brakes are from? I need to replace the shoes and drums...going to Napa tomorrow, but thought maybe someone would know so I can make it easy for my parts guy.

Adrian?

TIA...
    Cruisin' Dave
    2002 Boss Hoss 32 Trike
    1997 Honda Valkyrie Tourer SE
    1980 Suzuki GN400 Cafe Racer
    1971 Honda CL100 Scrambler

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyBikeForums.com
    Advertisements

Tom Knows for sure but I think it is a 1989 or some where around there. They are super cheap. I have about 3 sets around here if not in the garbage can.
    The disc brakes work so well today we use a 1989 Lincoln mark 7 rotors and 89 camaro front calipers with a .70" master cylinder.

Adrian

People are lonely because they build Walls Instead of Bridges.

I don't mean to get off topic here with the year model for the rear brakes shoes. I would like to know myself.

Also, Adrian, tell us more about the rear brake conversion and the master cylinder you used. I knew some of the later models had rear discs but I didn't know about a conversion for the earlier models like mine which is an '06 except to buy the late model factory setup. Sounds like something I would like to do.
    A Fine is the Tax for doing Wrong; A Tax is the Fine for Doing Well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruisin Dave View Post
    I've looked on the forums and Wags site, but couldn't find the info I need...

Anybody know what year Ford Ranger the rear brakes are from? I need to replace the shoes and drums...going to Napa tomorrow, but thought maybe someone would know so I can make it easy for my parts guy.

Adrian?

TIA...
    I think Ford Ranger 1989-2000 are all the same,Dave. Just make sure you mention the engine is a four cylinder. Some of the 4.0 liter V6 engine Rangers had an 8.8" rear,instead of the 7.5" unit our trikes use.
    Clint & Sherry Hooper
    2006 57 Chevy Boss Hoss trike
    "Whoever said money can't buy happiness never owned a Boss Hoss"

Quote Originally Posted by winchester View Post
    I don't mean to get off topic here with the year model for the rear brakes shoes. I would like to know myself.

Also, Adrian, tell us more about the rear brake conversion and the master cylinder you used. I knew some of the later models had rear discs but I didn't know about a conversion for the earlier models like mine which is an '06 except to buy the late model factory setup. Sounds like something I would like to do.

I just worked on a trike with factory disc brakes and the factory did a good job with the set up and is real nice (way over priced), The fact is my set up is about twice as good as the factory ones for stopping but I think it is because of the master cylinder we use.

I will post the part numbers when I have time but right now I am on vacation and will be for another week.

Adrian

Went to Napa today and checked shoes for 1995-2007. Size was right, but holes were different. Tried 1994 and bingo! Exact match.

Napa numbers:
    Shoes: UP569R
    Drums: 440-1456
    Hardware kit: 2438

Adrian keeps "twisting my arm" to do the disc brake conversion, but the rear drums actually work really well. Just have to adjust them occasionally. We got 47,000 miles on the original shoes and they probably still had another 4-5,000 left on them. But I was putting new tires on and figured this was the time to do the brakes too.

The drums were not badly worn or rusted, just have a hot spot right in the middle. I figured it was cheaper just to replace them rather than have them ground (cutting won't take out the hot spots). New ones were only $27 each!
    Cruisin' Dave
    2002 Boss Hoss 32 Trike
    1997 Honda Valkyrie Tourer SE
    1980 Suzuki GN400 Cafe Racer
    1971 Honda CL100 Scrambler

The rear drums on our 06 trike work very well,too. Kinda touchy,though.
    Wonder what the new 2010 trike rear discs set-up would cost?
    Clint & Sherry Hooper

I found this after doing a little research.
    Here's another way to add rear disc brakes:
    http://www.fordrangerforum.com/how-s...-rear-end.html
    Clint & Sherry Hooper

Quote Originally Posted by Cruisin Dave View Post
    Went to Napa today and checked shoes for 1995-2007. Size was right, but holes were different. Tried 1994 and bingo! Exact match.

Napa numbers:
    Shoes: UP569R
    Drums: 440-1456
    Hardware kit: 2438

Adrian keeps "twisting my arm" to do the disc brake conversion, but the rear drums actually work really well. Just have to adjust them occasionally. We got 47,000 miles on the original shoes and they probably still had another 4-5,000 left on them. But I was putting new tires on and figured this was the time to do the brakes too.

The drums were not badly worn or rusted, just have a hot spot right in the middle. I figured it was cheaper just to replace them rather than have them ground (cutting won't take out the hot spots). New ones were only $27 each!
    Our problems out here is that we do most of our travels in the mountains and the drum brakes will fade out in nothing flat.
    The ones that Clint is looking at would fit but you will not be able to use stock wheels because the caliper will rub the inside of the wheel.
    I have had 4 different set ups on my trike before I got the ones that are sweet.

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Our problems out here is that we do most of our travels in the mountains and the drum brakes will fade out in nothing flat.
    The ones that Clint is looking at would fit but you will not be able to use stock wheels because the caliper will rub the inside of the wheel.
    I have had 4 different set ups on my trike before I got the ones that are sweet.
    Adrian
    The V6 Mustang rotors are only 10.5" diameter (same size as yours) and the Cobra rotors are 12". Per the article,1994-2004 V6 Mustang rotors are all the same diameter.
    My old 85 Corvette came stock with 12" rotors and 16" diameter wheels. It seems strange that a 10.5" brake set-up won't clear a 15" wheel.

FWIW,I can run up to a 15" rear rotor with our trike's 20" wheels but those 10.5"'s would work fine,as your experience with them shows.

Sherry and I sure hate it that you won't be at Miami.
    Last edited by Clint44; 05-27-2010 at 12:06 AM.
    Clint & Sherry Hooper

Interesting point on installing disc brakes. If the bike is before a 2003 then you will have a really hard time getting the axles out because they will be twisted and next to impossible to push them in far enough to get the C clamp off of the end.
    In 2003 the factory went to Moser axles and no more twisting. If you have a seal leak on a pre-2003 you are in for a treat. I have had to cut the axles out to get the backing plate off so the last two I did of the earlier years I took my plasma cuter and just cut the backing plate off.

http://www.moserengineering.com/

Adrian