MBF Motorcycle Forums banner

A new approach to the steering problem

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  SpyderLovers 
#1 ·
I've been reading the threads on the steering issues and while I've not seen them on my 2009 Phantom, I'm quite concerned. As an engineer who specializes in control systems, I'm going to suggest that we do a bit of group polling to try and nail down the issue. I'm not sure why this is such a big problem (for BRP) to resolve and maybe we can all provide some clear data. I've had all the updated done but am very concerned that riders continue to report problems.

I've read most of the reports on pulling fuses and replacing relays and quite honestly, the answers are too inconsistent to make sense. Unless the unit has a software problem (I'm assuming it has an independent processor), this doesn't make much sense either. Replacing the relay doesn't fit in either unless there was originally a connection issue.

In order to really resolve the problem IF it is a production or software, hardware or connectivity issue, I'd ask the following questions:

1) What is the model and serial number of your Spyder?

2) What speed did the event occur?

3) How long did the event occur?

4) Did it change with your speed AFTER it occurred?

5) DId restarting the bike fix it?

6) How many times has it happened?

7) What was the weather like when it happened? Cold, hot, rainy, etc.

8) At what mileage mark did it occur?

9) What modifications do you have on the Spyder?

10) Are all the updates completed?

11) Did the even occur immediately or shortly after an update?

12) What is your typical trip distance and did this occur under or over that mark?

13) If you have done any modifications that required work under the seat or on body panels, did you do the work yourself or was it done by the dealer?

14) Did replacing the DPS resolve the problem?

Any other ideas are certainly welcomed. These are simply questions I'd ask if I were debugging the problem. The factory would have to look at the DPS unit itself.

Brian

More...

See less See more
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.