MBF Motorcycle Forums banner

alarms

10K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  cgjordan22 
#1 ·
All,
Do any of you Raider riders out there have an alarm system?

If so, what kind?
Where did you put it?

Thanks,
RJ

#2 ·
I've been STRONGLY considering one for a while now. ESPECIALLY from some of the things people keep saying around here when I tell them I'm headed to Bike Week. They keep telling me to get locks and s#*t to lock my bike up to anything near it to make them want to steal someone else's and not mine :yikes:! I wasn't planning on doing that, but I do hear teams of guys wait all year for this and just go pick up your bike, shove it in the bed of the truck, and off to the chop shop. One buddy who goes all the time says that it'll usually be chopped up completely before you even realize it's gone and get in a report!

I've been looking at those Scorpio alarms with the Keychain that has the screen on it to show you what's happening to the bike. I personally want one with the LCD readout on the remote, regardless of the brand, anyone got a suggestion?

(sorry rjschott... not really helpful to you, but it's actually been on my mind lately too)

#3 ·
I have the Scorpio SR-I600 and I think it is great. I have all of the features with the exception of the battery backup and that is because there simple wasn't enough room under the seat.
It does everything I want and it does it well. Don't go by the pricing on the main web page. I bought mine NIB from a vendor on eBay. He was located in Las Vegas and everything was smooth.
http://www.scorpioalarms.com/products/motorcycle
Good Luck...
-Topper

#4 ·
I had the gorilla bike alarm on my r6 for a while. I had the older model but the alarm box looks to be the same. My only complaints with it was the size of the unit itself. (hard to hide it) and it was very sensitive. Every time someone went by with loud pipes or a crazy stereo, it would go off. Very loud alarm. It looks like they adressed the sensitivity issue with a 2 stage alarm. Not bad for the price...it did the job but I ended up taking it off because everytime I went to a bike event with all those loud pipes it was constanly going off.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/d...lla_Motorcycle_Alarm_with___Way_Paging_System_

#5 ·
Alarms Pt 2

Indy,
I've been doing quite a bit of searching and reading on M/C alarms the last two days.
I think I've got it narrowed down to two options:
Scorpio I600 or the I300
(the 600 comes with a 2-way pager, the 300 does not)
or
Cyclone 886F (check this one out at freymoto.com)

I've heard that 2-way pagers can run down your battery...and obviously I don't want that to happen. But I don't know if that is totally true or not. My other big concern is size. As you know, there's very little room for anything under the Raider's seat.

The Cyclone claims to be the smallest available and has a lifetime warranty. On youtube you can watch a demo of all the features on this alarm.

Of the two, right now I think I'm leaning toward the Cyclone alarm.

If you check the two of these out, I'd sure like to hear your opinion of what you read or see about them.

RJ :smilie_flag_USA:

#6 ·
I must admit... that Cyclone 886F is really a quite impressive unit!!!

I've never heard of the 2-way pagers running down the battery, and I know plenty of people who use them in cars (not bikes...but same principal). Either way, not really concerned about something like that actually killing the battery while I'm out. MAYBE if it's trying to transmit something over the entire winter, but I don't think it actually uses power to transmit anything unless an alarm sensor is going off, but I could be wrong.

I would definitely chose the Cyclone over anything I've seen simply based on price vs. features!!! The only reason I'm not, is because I do want that remote! Other than that, I'd say that Cyclone could easily be the best deal on the market for a security system!!! I know I'm impressed with it and this is probably my 5th or 6th time of being in the kick to search out motorcycle alarms. I say if you don't care about the remote (and it sounds like you don't) that Cyclone will take good care of your baby for really pretty cheap!!

#7 ·
I have the I600 on my rocket, and it was quite a bit smaller than I expected. I installed the battery back-up and the mass sensor, and I've never had a problem with with it killing my battery. Then again I park in my garage so it's only armed when I'm out on the bike, I could see how if you parked outside and left it on for days at a time it could possibly kill you battery though. My opinion is that it was well worth the 230 something I paid for it on sale, I like knowing when somethings happening to my bike and it's kind of an attention getter when you go somewhere and get off the bike and give it the little "beep beep" to arm it. I will tell you this however, if you like your neighbors no matter how much you want to don't install it in our garage with the door open at midnight on a Tuesday because "you just had to have it". It WILL go off repeatedly during install and other than wrapping the unit with a towel to shut it up you can't do anything about it. On a positive note though I have proven that it is infact loud enough to wake my neighbors from a deep slumber and caused them to inquire as to "what the f*ck is going on over there" which made me feel safer immediately.

:eek:ops_sign:

#9 ·
I will tell you this however, if you like your neighbors no matter how much you want to don't install it in our garage with the door open at midnight on a Tuesday because "you just had to have it". It WILL go off repeatedly during install and other than wrapping the unit with a towel to shut it up you can't do anything about it. On a positive note though I have proven that it is infact loud enough to wake my neighbors from a deep slumber and caused them to inquire as to "what the f*ck is going on over there" which made me feel safer immediately.

:eek:ops_sign:
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: I couldn't help but laugh when I read that!!! Thanks for the head's up, I probably woulda ended up JUST like you without the warning!!!! :thumbup2::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

#8 ·
I've got the gorilla #7017 and it works great. You can adjust the sensitivity with it or even disable the vibration part of it and just have the tilt sensor enabled. My friend has the scorpio 1600 and its very good to. It even has a perimeter sensor. The siren is very low on the scorpio. The gorilla is WAY louder.

#10 ·
After looking at all 3 (Gorilla, Scorpio, Cyclone), i think the Cyclone is the one for me. I don't really need the LCD remote that comes with the Scorpio, but do want the features of the Cyclone that you have to purchase extra for the Scorpio. That Scorpio's price can shoot up real quick. Cyclone is a great deal even with having to spend the extra $100 for the paging system. I especially like the silent mode so that you can get eyes (and hopefully knuckles) on the dirtbag(s) messing with the ride.

#11 ·
more alarm stuff

All,
After doing a bunch of downloading of the different manufacturer's installation/owner's manuals, I've decided against the Cyclone.
Reason--You can't turn it off. If you don't arm it, it arms itself. If you disarm it, it arms itself 20 seconds later.
That feature doesn't make sense...and that is the only reason I won't buy the cyclone.
Other than that, it appears to be a great alarm and a great price.

RJ

#14 ·
CG
Check out their owner's manual.
The video (and the manual) say that if you don't want it on, simply "arm it, then disarm it."
However, I copy/pasted this out of their manual:

Auto Arm NOTE: CYCLONE will never Auto Arm while Ignition is on.
Arms 20s after ignition goes off and 30s after you disarm. Auto Arm cannot be disabled, but you can program which sensors are to be enabled (see pg.14).

If you speak with them (and I'll try to call them too), please add their response here.

RJ

#15 ·
Lo-Jack

No one has mentioned this yet, so I will risk it. I went with a dealer installed Lo-jack. I am alerted (by text and phone call) every time the bike is moved, and my key fob is not with it. I have tested that, and it does work. The minute I alert the police, they can track the FM signal. Hopefully I will know it is gone even before I am alerted, because when we are out together, I don't let it get out of my site for long. I also always lock the steering and hope that it is too heavy to just throw into a truck.

Enjoying the Journey!

#16 ·
rjschott,
Have you had any contact with the cyclone company? I think I am going to get this one, and just wanted to know what they said about the disarm and auto arm. I saw the video where they say you can disarm it if you want to, but what you put copied and pasted from the manual seems a little different. Let us know what they say. Thanks.

#17 ·
Lo-Jack and Cyclone

I figured I would give some insight on Lo-Jack...for once I have some intimate knowledge rather than asking the question.

As a disclaimer, I am not bashing Lo-Jack but just trying to provide info on the process from the Law Enforcement side.

First off, for Lo-Jack to work, a police vehicle has to be equipped with Lo-Jack (dept.'s vary, but mine doesn't have many) and it then must be within range of the Lo-Jack equipped stolen vehicle (when activated) to receive the signal. The police cruiser has a 2" x 3"(approx.) screen mounted around the rear view mirror that will beep when receiving a signal, show a code that is specific for the stolen vehicle, show strength of signal...closer you are to it the stronger the signal, and a directional arrow pointing toward the stolen veh.....which is very inaccurate. And if the veh. is in motion rather than stationary...locating gets even more difficult and then you have issues with the veh. moving in and out of different jurisdictions and the police cruiser equipped with Lo-Jack not being allowed to cross lines based solely on the signal(varies from dept. as well).

There is no GPS component associated with Lo-Jack, so there is no way to pinpoint the location. If a police veh. equipped w/ Lo-Jack never comes within range of your stolen veh., then Jo-Jack is worthless. So absolutely contact your local dept. to see how many they have before you purchase it. And even then, it could be out of their jurisdiction before you even know it's gone (plus it's prob getting chopped anyway).

If you are looking at putting a system that correlates with law enforcement, I would definitely get something GPS equipped. The dealership I got my Raider from last week had an option for a GPS equipped system and it was only a one time payment...no monthly fees. I didn't get it, but may in the future.

Bottom Line.....Lo-Jack is better than nothing, but I would not put it on any of my vehicles. The GPS systems are the best to get, and then maybe an alarm with a good pager.

Speaking of the alarm...I tried calling Cyclone about the Auto Arm issue...they told me to email tech support. I emailed them and am just waiting for a response. I will post it when I get it.

Sorry for the long post...let me know if you have any questions.

#18 ·
Lo-Jack

Thanks for the good info on Lo-jack. Of course the dealer didn't give me the low-down, just the sales pitch. And I admit that I was too pumped at riding her home to clearly consider that there may be limitations. Now that I have been enlightened, I will check with the local PD's around here.

This is why I like this forum, we can learn from each other.

Thom_Raider

#19 ·
Response from Frey Moto

[FONT=&quot]Good question. In 2008, we changed the Cyclone 866F system to have manual arming occur 20s after ignition goes off and 30s after you disarm. Auto Arm cannot be disabled, but you can program which sensors are to be enabled. When the system comes from the factory the auto arm feature automatically enables both the shock and tilt sensor. However, the user can switch the setting to enable only tilt sensor so that you do not set the alarm off when refueling the bike or digging through your saddle bags, yet the bike is still protected against theft. The rational for the change that occurred in 2008 is satisfying certain government regulations on security devices, in countries such as Australia and New Zealand . Cyclone alarms are distributed world wide, so this change was made. It also makes good sense since bike thefts often occur even when the bike has a security system; however, the owner forgot to arm the system, or simply did not arm it because they were only going into the store for “just a minute.” It takes less than 30 seconds to steal a bike, so stepping into the store for just minutes can cost you your bike, and unfortunately this occurs more often than any bike owner would like to think possible. The Cyclone 866F auto arm feature is designed to protect your bike from this sort of situation occurring. Thanks for your question. As an added bonus for forum members, please use this coupon code during check out to get free Priority Mail Service shipping: ship4free[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sincerely,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jesse Frey[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Technical Support
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Appleton[/FONT][FONT=&quot], WI USA[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FreyMoto.com[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]PH: 1-800-374-0933[/FONT]

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.