Flathead V8 Bike by Honest Charlie

Thread: Flathead V8 Bike by Honest Charlie

Contributor

Default Flathead V8 Bike by Honest Charlie

Hi Guys! I was wondering if anyone here has ridden/owned or know anything about the Flathead V8 Motorcycle that a company that Honest Charlie make? Im very interested in them and im interested in buying one next year but i need to know more about them!
    Thanks very much for all your help, friendship and expertise again guys! Cheers your English Pal Jimbo
    TO MAKE SOMEONE SMILE IS A BEAUTIFUL THING :-) V8'S ARE JUST ONE OF MANY THINGS THAT MAKE ME SMILE WITH SO MUCH PASSION!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MyBikeForums.com
    Advertisements

I don't know a great deal about them, only that I like the looks. The fly in the ointment, for me, is the use of the 60 HP Flathead Ford engine. This is not the "Big Block" flathead that we are accustomed to seeing in old hot rods. It is the economy version that was built from about 37 to 39 or so. It is no torque monster and with about the same HP as a Shovelhead coupled with a one speed, clutch setup like the early Bosses, I'm sure it is no ball of fire. Imagine starting off on a HD in high gear

I know a guy that bought one and it made it 400 miles before it blew up... someone took it apart for him and it was so bad he decided to have a custom motor built for it. I don`t know if he ever got it running or not as I haven`t seen him in a while. he collects old indian motorcycles and bought it for it`s looks. I think he just looks at it.
    Tom Chadwell

4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul

My wife and I were thinking about selling her Harley and buying one for her to ride . I don't remember where she found all the info but she found out that they are a handful to ride because the clutch pulls so hard etc. etc and that they were just not a good cruising machine because of the gear ratio . Anyway we decided it just wouldn't be a good choice for a female to ride . I do love the looks of this machine though and thought it would be cool for her to ride a V8 also .

Jack
    Jack DeLelys......2000 Boss Hoss 350/400 HP

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by HogV8
    My wife and I were thinking about selling her Harley and buying one for her to ride . I don't remember where she found all the info but she found out that they are a handful to ride because the clutch pulls so hard etc. etc and that they were just not a good cruising machine because of the gear ratio . Anyway we decided it just wouldn't be a good choice for a female to ride . I do love the looks of this machine though and thought it would be cool for her to ride a V8 also .

Jack
    At one point I thought I wanted one also,but after I did alot of checking,decided not to,glad now I didn't.Those engines weren't that great when they came out 70 years ago,better for someone like Jay Leno.The fact there is no warranty tells you something right away.

I don't know but I heard they used those little 60 horse engines in some of the Ford tractors also . That engine was also used in midget race cars . I'd be worried most that you couldn't find parts for them either .

Jack
    Jack DeLelys......2000 Boss Hoss 350/400 HP

Blog Entries
    Boss Hoss Help Files - http://bosshosshelp.com/
    I do not go where the path leads.
    Instead, I create my own path......and leave a trail!

Quote Originally Posted by HogV8
    I don't know but I heard they used those little 60 horse engines in some of the Ford tractors also . That engine was also used in midget race cars . I'd be worried most that you couldn't find parts for them either .

Jack
    The Ford 60 came in cars back in 1937 or 38. My Dad had one and it was gutless. If you got in the mud you were done, couldn't even spin the wheel.

Adrian

People are lonely because they build Walls Instead of Bridges.

Veteran Member

I had a "Flathead" Mercury V8 Coupe, 1949, which was the tits! It had a primed exterior and a blue and white leather interior. 3 speed stick on the column. The motor was sooo simple and could be torn apart in an afternoon. The timing took ten minutes. The motor was not powerful (140 hp I presume) but had some torque and reliable as a stone.
    What great memories!

Contributor

Default Thanks

Wow thanks guys1 Ya i was put off by the no warranty thing! Heard stories of them blowing up real early as well! Still looks kind of interesting and i bet it would be to drive it still!
    TO MAKE SOMEONE SMILE IS A BEAUTIFUL THING :-) V8'S ARE JUST ONE OF MANY THINGS THAT MAKE ME SMILE WITH SO MUCH PASSION!